• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Are Octos Cold Blooded?

dwhatley;104087 said:
I assumed that they were but realized I have never seen it mentioned.

I think the only "warm blooded" animals are birds and mammals, but I guess the exact definitions of "warm" vs "cold" are a little in dispute. I don't know of any way that a ceph can regulate its temperature, though; I think they just follow the temperature of the water.

That was my train of thought but since their biology is sooo different, I thougt it strange that I had never seen it mentioned. I have always thought cold blooded meant the ability to regulate (to some extent) body temperature but there is a difference in the way lizards, snakes and frogs (and others I am sure) can almost freeze and shut down their systems but not really be impacted by extremes where others just expire if the temperature is not suitable.

dwhatley;104144 said:
That was my train of thought but since their biology is sooo different, I thougt it strange that I had never seen it mentioned. I have always thought cold blooded meant the ability to regulate (to some extent) body temperature but there is a difference in the way lizards, snakes and frogs (and others I am sure) can almost freeze and shut down their systems but not really be impacted by extremes where others just expire if the temperature is not suitable.

Cold-blooded - Wikipedia has a lot of interesting stuff to say on the subject... it seems roughly on target with other things I've read...

Cephs are all throughly cold blooded; birds, Mammals, and some fish (marlin and several kinds of sharks) are warm blooded and some insects show the ability to control their body temperatures although I do not know if that is considered warm blooded or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back