• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

are octopuses plain difficult or just misunder stood

I guess it seems real difficult due to the amount of work required to set up the tank, but if you take it a step at a time, it isn't too hard. Once the tank is up, running and stabilised, only a little maintainance once in a while would be required.

I think a lot of it is the irresponsibility of impulse buyers. "The guy that buys the blue ring at the store and throws it in the 10 gallon with his Nemo's." 90% of people who do the research are succesful. And the other 10% just happen to have got an octopus that was "difficult" :lol:

Very intense scientific research...that's how! :wink:

Yes they're hard to keep compared to damsels and clowns and triggers and the like. But a lot of things are considered difficult like seahorses, corals, and others, but people can be succesful with them.
They are also misunderstood but thats probably because most people don't take the time to try to learn about them. And a lot of people are scared off from them by unknowledgable lfs's and unsuccessful owners.

Maybe not captive bred seahorses. I used to keep seahorses back in the day and they were wild caught. I had to keep another tank running with a constant source of wild food. And you couldn't just feed them brine shrimp because they would get sick of it and it had no nutritional value. Maybe someday I'll get some captive bred ponies and train them to eat goldfish flake food. 8)

I raised the brine shrimp in the other tank. I would go out weekly and buy or catch pods, little grass shrimp, little blood worms, tiny baby mollies and other stuff to supplement their diet. They still ate more "sea monkies" than anything else.

sideways said:
Maybe not captive bred seahorses. I used to keep seahorses back in the day and they were wild caught. I had to keep another tank running with a constant source of wild food. And you couldn't just feed them brine shrimp because they would get sick of it and it had no nutritional value. Maybe someday I'll get some captive bred ponies and train them to eat goldfish flake food. 8)

My cousin is quite ahead of you on that :wink:

I got 2 wild caughts to take enriched frozen brine shrimp, but it was painstaking as I had to feed them individually on a tweezer.Captive breds are way easy. They come the moment I put my hand in the tank and also cling on to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back