• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

are octopuses plain difficult or just misunder stood

Sadly no, the only pic I got is of a yellow H.reidi ( brazillian seahorse) That shows it when it had eye infection. It's eye was quite bloated up, it doesn't really look too good so I'd rather decline.

I have both, captive bred and wild-caught seahorses, in separate tanks. Enriched frozen mysis is the preferred food source for seahorses. Captive bred horses are already trained to eat frozen when you get them. I have 2 of my 5 wild-caughts eating frozen mysis now. A couple of them will snick frozen brine but as Sideways mentioned, they are not nutritional enough. So I buy a couple hundred ghost shrimp a week to feed my horses and Ashi.
Here's a pic of my wild-caughts.

Spring

Sweet. 8)
I just have dwarfs (about 20 in my 20 gallon, just had babies) , I feed them live BBS; I never see them eat it but they do stick their heads into the sea lettuce and chow on something.

:nofeet:

Great picture!! NJ wild caught are so feisty! I am able to get them to eat frozen prawn. There used to be alot in the wild, but due to collectors, their population has dwindled down so you only see them every now and then. It's sad as they have such great personalities!

Carol

im a little late chiming in but ive been keeping reef tanks for a while before trying octopus and i have to say, the octo is incredibly easy, you basically just feed it and interact with it, i would consider them easy for anyone who understands aquarium chemistry, my reef is much more of a pain

no, it is made by all glass, its a 92g corner tank, its got to flat sides and then one large peice of curved glass connecteing those two making a pie shape, the curved glass makes it diffucult to get a good pic of the whole tank at once.
the more i look at that tank the more i think of how cool an octo would be in there creeping around on all the rock, but my wife would kill me, thats has all her little swimy fish

Not to mention your corals in there, could hurt an octo. I can't believe thats a 92. I thought from the pic it was a 46 corner. Wow you have some big corals in there then. :smile:

Size references are hard to judge sometimes, but after knowing thats a 92, I can imagine a few of those piece are nice size, like the xenia on the left!

that is a very nice peice, its like a big bush, there are actually two different types of xenia on there (you cant tell from the fuzy pic) i took that pic not to long after the lights came on, thats why you really dont see any fish, i cant remeber what the thread was about but i had previously posted a pic of the eel in there with a neon goby on his head

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back