are octopuses plain difficult or just misunder stood

ant

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Joined
Jan 1, 2004
Messages
413
#3
funny thing i voted for the one i didnt want. i was gonna say difficult. thats why theres only one for mis..
 

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
9,514
Location
Pennsylvania
#6
I imagine they'd be difficult if you didn't understand them! :)
 

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
2,028
#7
I guess it seems real difficult due to the amount of work required to set up the tank, but if you take it a step at a time, it isn't too hard. Once the tank is up, running and stabilised, only a little maintainance once in a while would be required.
 

sideways

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
251
#8
I think a lot of it is the irresponsibility of impulse buyers. "The guy that buys the blue ring at the store and throws it in the 10 gallon with his Nemo's." 90% of people who do the research are succesful. And the other 10% just happen to have got an octopus that was "difficult" :lol:
 

sideways

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
251
#10
Very intense scientific research...that's how! :wink:

Yes they're hard to keep compared to damsels and clowns and triggers and the like. But a lot of things are considered difficult like seahorses, corals, and others, but people can be succesful with them.
They are also misunderstood but thats probably because most people don't take the time to try to learn about them. And a lot of people are scared off from them by unknowledgable lfs's and unsuccessful owners.
 

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
2,028
#11
Seahorses difficult? :lol:

I have to say corals are tough. I guess it also depends on how much one is willing to spend on whatever they plan to keep.
 

sideways

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
251
#12
Maybe not captive bred seahorses. I used to keep seahorses back in the day and they were wild caught. I had to keep another tank running with a constant source of wild food. And you couldn't just feed them brine shrimp because they would get sick of it and it had no nutritional value. Maybe someday I'll get some captive bred ponies and train them to eat goldfish flake food. 8)
 

sideways

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
251
#14
I raised the brine shrimp in the other tank. I would go out weekly and buy or catch pods, little grass shrimp, little blood worms, tiny baby mollies and other stuff to supplement their diet. They still ate more "sea monkies" than anything else.
 

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
2,028
#15
sideways said:
Maybe not captive bred seahorses. I used to keep seahorses back in the day and they were wild caught. I had to keep another tank running with a constant source of wild food. And you couldn't just feed them brine shrimp because they would get sick of it and it had no nutritional value. Maybe someday I'll get some captive bred ponies and train them to eat goldfish flake food. 8)
My cousin is quite ahead of you on that :wink:

I got 2 wild caughts to take enriched frozen brine shrimp, but it was painstaking as I had to feed them individually on a tweezer.Captive breds are way easy. They come the moment I put my hand in the tank and also cling on to it.
 

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
2,028
#17
Sadly no, the only pic I got is of a yellow H.reidi ( brazillian seahorse) That shows it when it had eye infection. It's eye was quite bloated up, it doesn't really look too good so I'd rather decline.
 

Spring

O. vulgaris
Registered
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
90
#18
I have both, captive bred and wild-caught seahorses, in separate tanks. Enriched frozen mysis is the preferred food source for seahorses. Captive bred horses are already trained to eat frozen when you get them. I have 2 of my 5 wild-caughts eating frozen mysis now. A couple of them will snick frozen brine but as Sideways mentioned, they are not nutritional enough. So I buy a couple hundred ghost shrimp a week to feed my horses and Ashi.
Here's a pic of my wild-caughts.

Spring
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
19,487
Messages
202,579
Members
8,350
Latest member
timocto

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards
Top