Architeuthis sp are bioluminescent?

Firefly

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi all

I did never heard about bioluminescent giant squids ( except Taningia danae and Cranchids ( but these are colossal ones)).
Do you know anything about this?
Thanks.

Hello Firefly,

Don't listen to OB. He's a deeply disturbed man.

There is no evidence for photophores in Architeuthis. However, bioluminescence may occur in squid where no photophores are present, through symbiotic relationships with bioluminescent bacteria which take up residence in the squid's mantle. The bobtail squid is the classic example. Bioluminescence used for counter-illumination, to mask the silhouette of a squid seen from below against downwelling light, is most advantageous is squid that are small and spend a lot of time close to the ocean surface. There is no evidence for any sort of symbiotic bioluminescence in very young Architeuthis, but it would be reasonable to look for it.

Clem

Oh, Fist of Death is it? I thought it was a ticket stub from a Rush concert.

I mean it, Firefly. Ob took part in the defrosting and examination of a 450kg Mesonychoteuthis just so he could eat the bits that floated free of the block.*

Clem

*Ob knows what he's talking about, he really does, even if he is an opportunistic scavenger.

Contrary to most deep dwelling squid, that are uniformly transparent or deep red (which is black at that depth), Architeuthis employs counter shading. This leads some to believe that it only recently moved to deeper water...

Clem;178139 said:
Oh, Fist of Death is it? I thought it was a ticket stub from a Rush concert.

I mean it, Firefly. Ob took part in the defrosting and examination of a 450kg Mesonychoteuthis just so he could eat the bits that floated free of the block.*

Clem

*Ob knows what he's talking about, he really does, even if he is an opportunistic scavenger.

Lol I do belive I saw the footage of that...it was lije watching a game of hungry hungry hippos.

OB;178167 said:
Contrary to most deep dwelling squid, that are uniformly transparent or deep red (which is black at that depth), Architeuthis employs counter shading. This leads some to believe that it only recently moved to deeper water...

Recently on the evolutionary timescale? I'd say that Archie's countershading is as likely to be a vestigial feature as Mesonychoteuthis' ocular photophores: useful when small, superfluous when mature. UNLESS...Archie ascends to shallower depths when mating and spawning.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back