Architeuthis size - HELP

Howdo GPO87

WK has directed you to the ONLY site online that presents accurate data. I don't understand why other sites perpetuate this 60-foot (20 metre) myth. Given the number of these animals that have been recently (last few years) reported in the press, and documentaries that have screened, don't you think it strange that every animal has been considerably shorter than 60 feet? It's even more strange that not a single photograph of such a humungous animal exists!

The beaks and pen (gladius) of the purported 57-foot animal from New Zealand (on which the exaggerated '60 foot' claim is made) are actually smaller and shorter than comparable structures from standard-sized 30-foot animals that we see today. In other words, complete exaggeration!

paper

So,

I wish I had an opportunity to write about giant squid! What class and grade is this for? A very good source to use is a book you probably already have: Search for the Giant Squid by Richard Ellis. Great book.

Good luck, and send me your final draft when you are done!

The one and only,
Squidman

:oshea:

Does anybody remember the late Dr. Frederick Aldritch on Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe stating his belief that Architeuthis gets to be 150 feet in length? It's amazing what respectable people will say once the cameras get turned on!

Incidentally, that same episode also has a USN spokesman talking about the run-in that the destroyer U.S.S. Stein had off San Diego with what was apparently a Moroteuthis, as well as tonmo member Tom Williams being interviewed regarding a cryptozoological expedition to Papua in search of the legendary "lady-fish".

erich orser said:
Does anybody remember the late Dr. Frederick Aldritch on Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe stating his belief that Architeuthis gets to be 150 feet in length? It's amazing what respectable people will say once the cameras get turned on!

Incidentally, that same episode also has a USN spokesman talking about the run-in that the destroyer U.S.S. Stein had off San Diego with what was apparently a Moroteuthis, as well as tonmo member Tom Williams being interviewed regarding a cryptozoological expedition to Papua in search of the legendary "lady-fish".
A Moroteuthis what? What in the world is that?! What's a lady fish?

erich orser said:
Does anybody remember the late Dr. Frederick Aldritch .....

The original GS guru - the man that started all of this. Unfortunately I never met him, nor the late Gil Voss, but we do owe a lot to the both of them (and to G.C. Robson!!). All we ever do is re-invent the wheel.

Robson was a genius; some say insane. It's a very fine line!

chrono_war01 said:
A Moroteuthis what? What in the world is that?!

A very large and impressive squid indeed, Chrono. Have a look at this photo of a large specimen (which also demonstrates how teuthology can drive one insane in extreme cases):

Alaska

Phil said:
A very large and impressive squid indeed, ....[/url]

The MOST interesting thing, Phil, is that DNA research is now pointing to a VERY close relationship between Architeuthis & Moroteuthis!!! The juveniles of each are basically identical, and they share a number of rather unique character states.

When I proposed this years ago I was laughed at :sad:

On a different thread, has anybody else heard of the U.S.S. Stein and it's encounter with an unseen deep-water beast?

Also, Robson was insane, but brilliant!

:cthulhu:

???????

Robson who?

How bigg does the squid gorw? I mean that's not really big compared to the pserson sitting on it ( which makes it strangly like wrestling when he was holding up the tentacles....) If that's about a adult, and the destroyer was so big, why would someone notice it?

Chrono, the moroteuthis (in my case off our California coast, M. Robusta - cute, has retractible hooks, from what I've been told, like a cat) is also found on the West side of the Pacific in your neck of the woods (maybe a little further North) as Moroteuthis Japanicus. I might've spelled that last one incorrectly, but please forgive. The late Dr. Dustin Chivers of the Steinhardt Aquarium in San Francisco once told me that a 10-foot Moroteuthis was speared about 50 feet off the Monterey Bay peir by a scuba diver.

The ladyfish of legend is the mermaid. What Tom Williams was trying to do is correlate that the mermaid legend honestly did derive from sightings of dugongs in Papua and the Indonesian archipelago. To his satisfaction, he found that the stories met up.

Erich :smile:

Something relatively small collided with the radar/sonar dome below the water-line on the bow of the U.S.S. Stein and suddenly the entire ship went blind, meaning it could have fallen victim to any Soviet submarine in the vicinity. It had to immediately turn-around and return to port in Coronado (in S.D. bay), going into drydock. When they examined the rubber housing around the dome, they dug-out large chitonous claws, then contacted Scripps Institute to find out what it was. This is all on officcial USN record; I'm not making it up. I think some kind of large, dying ceph had floated to the surface over deep water, and the Stein collided with it just six miles off San Diego.
Not impossible, our coastline nose-dives a few miles, replete with canyons and other deep areas. Perfect for big cephs.

:cthulhu:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back