Architeuthis Info

Wpg-girl

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I am an undergrad student in Canada, and was wondering if anyone can direct me towards any information regarding any molecular work done on Architeuthis. All I can find is just morphological descriptions. Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :shock:

Hello and welcome, Winnipeg Girl!

I'm not the one to answer this, I just happen to be reading the board, but there is research about ammoniac squid, of which Architeuthis is one. Ammonia (maybe ammonium ions is more accurate) is reserved from waste products to assist buoyancy. I don't float, but I'm still not trying this at home. If this relates to your hunt for molecular research on giant squid, try the search function above, "ammoniac" should list all the relevant threads in the Research and Discovery forum. I bet some refer to works you could find in the university library.

I can't believe I've learned enough reading R&D to say that much!

Good luck!

Melissa

Re: Architeuthis Info

Wpg-girl said:
I am an undergrad student in Canada, and was wondering if anyone can direct me towards any information regarding any molecular work done on Architeuthis. All I can find is just morphological descriptions. Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :shock:

Howdo Wpg-girl
There isn't much out there at all (genetics); we have a manuscript looking at 16S and CO1 variation amongst Architeuthis from the North & South Atlantic, and South Pacific (but we couldn't get North Pacific samples at the time). In short, no diff between any of the regions (no evidence for recognising more than one species), but this doesn't prove that only a single species exists.

Me

Thanks for the help guys!
Dr.O'Shea, the genetic evidence that you have there, does that show any close relationships with more well known squid? Or is their exact phylogenic relationship not clear either?
Thanks!

Hmmmmm

Now what are you up to?

Some say yes, some say no - seems to depend on who does the alignment.

There are morphological parallels between Architeuthis and another family of squid (not usually considered closely related), and there are genetic parallels also .... (with the same thing, something not usually considered closely related .. or did I just say that?).

Are you scheming away on some little project?
Me

I might be... :madsci:

I interested on many levels. Personally and academically. I have a review paper and this is the first opportunity for me to get to know one of the coolest animals on the planet!

There are morphological parallels between Architeuthis and another family of squid (not usually considered closely related), and there are genetic parallels also .... (with the same thing, something not usually considered closely related .. or did I just say that?).

So, does that mean that there are both some genetic and morphological parallels which link Architeuthis to another family of squid, but this family is not usually considered a close relative?
Why wouldn't it be considered a relative? Is it that Architeuthis has more completely unique characters, which makes it hard to place it (phylogenetically)? Or that besides these parallels, the two families are totally different?

Thanks again for your help here! :?

:meso:

Wpg-girl said:
I might be... :madsci:
So, does that mean that there are both some genetic and morphological parallels which link Architeuthis to another family of squid, but this family is not usually considered a close relative? Why wouldn't it be considered a relative? Is it that Architeuthis has more completely unique characters, which makes it hard to place it (phylogenetically)? Or that besides these parallels, the two families are totally different?
:meso:

More to come; if it is a review of genetic information on this brute that you are looking for I'd suggest another squid (at least for the time being). There's quite a bit of morphological information out there now (as you've found out). The morphological parallels are unpublished, although recognised by a few. It basically boils down to one of paralarval/larval similarities.

Why the connection hasn't been more-formally drawn is anyone's guess. I suggested it a while back ... but got clobbered by someone (they said "Oh no, no, no") .... then I discussed it with someone else and they said 'hmmmm, interesting'. I cannot let on, online, what it is (next of kin), sorry.

Do you want to do morphological work on Architeuthis, as in exam one up close and personal? You know where to come if so ..... I'll leave a dozen for you in the freezer. It would be a great study (there's so much anatomical work that hasn't been done on this animal yet); a comparative anatomical study would be grand.
Kindest
Me

I need your help in clarifying another matter...
There have been a huge variety of estimates published as to how many specimens have been documented in the last 150 years or so. Would 200 be an appropriate number?
Also, to date, no one has ever seen one alive, even photographed?

Have you had any more success with keeping alive young (larval/paralarval) giant squid, or longer than you have been able to in the past?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, it's such a treat to be talking to someone who knows something! :heee:

Wpg-girl said:
There have been a huge variety of estimates published as to how many specimens have been documented in the last 150 years or so. Would 200 be an appropriate number?

Also, to date, no one has ever seen one alive, even photographed?

Have you had any more success with keeping alive young (larval/paralarval) giant squid, or longer than you have been able to in the past?

Well, I've seen ~ 110 specimens (and never went to see 2 stranded/putrefied specimens on beaches .... I was slack) - just had another one delivered yesterday in fact; Ellen Forch (NZ) has seen ~ 18 additional specimens, Dick Dell & T.W. Kirk (both NZ) ~ 5 additional specimens (combined), so that is at least 134 specimens from New Zealand waters (documented/recorded) in the past 130 years. Many additional specimens will have been discarded by trawlers, not brought to anyones attention.

I'm pretty sure than more than 200 would have been examined (they're not that rare); I'll do a tally when I have a few mins to spare.

Re progress on the larval squid maintenance, yes - we've made tremendous progress, but we still haven't been able to capture one particular species that we need to trial before embarking on yet another expedition. I'm pretty sure (if we can procure the appropriate diet) that we'll be able to do it in the immediate future (as in keep the key species alive).

Re the photograph ..... my lips are sealed.

Wpg-girl, what are you up to up there in Canada?
Me

(something that has been annoying me a bit)

Steve, are you not yet credited with seeing live Archies? Okay they wern't giant but an arhi is an archi does this not count?!

Colin said:
(something that has been annoying me a bit)

Steve, are you not yet credited with seeing live Archies? Okay they wern't giant but an archi is an archi does this not count?!

Afraid the babies don't seem to count in many people's books. I'll just have to work harder and smarter. We'll do it (or someone else will), no doubt, and soon, but I'm not in any race to be first. Honestly, when that news comes out I'm just going to go home, sit in the chair, shave my back to copy you :wink: , pour a glass of wine (or 2), put on Neil D, and snooze. I'm afraid (John) there's too little vino and sake in the life right now (that pic was on a good day).

...besides, there's always Mesonychoteuthis, Galiteuthis, and X-squid.

What am I up to?
Trouble! :twisted:

Hahah!

Just living and learning and loving every other minute of it!
There isn't a whole lot of action up here in the middle of the prairies.

What are you up to the good ol' NZ?

Wpg-girl said:
What am I up to?
Trouble! :twisted:

Hahah!

I seem to be surrounded by Trouble

Down here in NZ ... you know, same old same old, wrestling giant squid in garden pools with my bare teeth.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back