[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

I remember when you mentioned this last year Steve. Glad to see that the pics were released eventually.

So can we asumse that the squid was at the surface dying when it got snared?

Fantastic! I was just saying the other day (yesterday!) that I was "waiting for the day someone photographs a living archy".

Let us know if anybody manages to get some hi-res versions of these!

So, we know that the eye looks different on the live squid compared to dead... I am waiting to see if the feeding tentacles are held up rather than trailing!

OH MY GOD!

The last time I posted on here was almost 2 years ago....but this image has got me so excited I can't stay quiet. That photo is UNBELIEVABLE!

I've been waiting to see something like that my entire life. I'm kinda of confused as to why there wasn't major news about this. Its big news when a dead one washes up....I figure this would've made headlines all over the world....with or without the rope attached to it.

Steve can you shed any light on this for us? Also, why the hush hush about the rest of the photos? I would love to see them. Sorry not trying to be brash...I'm just so excited its hard to contain it. Thanks so much for the photos!!!

P.S...Steve, been a big fan of yours for a long time.

OMFG, that is unbelivable, are you guy's sure it is real??
...OMFG look at the guy holding the flashlight--compare it's size to the archi, o' man that's a HUGE SQUID!!! :notworth: :notworth: :biggrin2:

Hey tonmo! I never really went away...my old job said they were monitoring our internet surfing so I go out of habit posting. But I never stopped reading! This has become quite the site!

good lord!!! :shock: :!: look at its eye!!! that is the most amazing thing i have ever seen!!! the eye is smaller than i expected, and why is it yellow?
thank you clem!!! :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :biggrin2: :smile: :P :mrgreen: :rainbow: :yinyang: :cyclops: :heee: :talker: :thumbsup: :goldfish: :tomato: :sun: :police: :read: :coffee:
:squid: :meso: :belemnit: :nautiloi:

cephlamaniac said:
the eye is smaller than i expected, and why is it yellow?

Interesting point. Is this a reflection of the rear of the retina, similar to the 'red eye' effect so common with flash photography, or is there a biological explanation?

Whenever I've had an Architeuthis lens it has been transluscent/colourless, so I think the yellow colour is an artefact of the flash. The actual eye often has a pink/golden sheen, so the colour of the lens could have something to do with reflection from the eye itself.

Not sure.

.... wish I had been there!

I suspect that the eyes on dead archi's are swelled up and inflamed,
note: the size of a archi that is alive.
Very peculiar, I wonder if this is the same archi:
squid_agent.jpg

Image from http://www.f2.dion.ne.jp/~nkd25/html/kraken.html

HOLY MESONYCHOTEUTHIDS!!!!!! That's AMAZING. I can't believe it.... The eye is really unusual. Don't know what that has to do with it, but who gives a squid?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back