[Featured]: Architeuthis (Giant Squid) Sightings

Holy...

All right, now that I'm no longer lying passed out on the floor, I should be able to respond to this news with more than an emphatic exclamation point.

I'm having to adjust my mental image of Architeuthis on the fly, as it were. The intact, living eye is incredible to see, and not what I expected; I'd have expected to see a larger orbit of generally round configuration, not an ellipse. In fact, it almost looks as if the animal has a sort of lid structure, but I'm ignorant of the particulars of Architeuthis ocular musculature.

Since we're all used to photgraphs of deflated, flaccid giants, the apparent robustness of this animal is startling, as is its apparent willingness (and ability) to extend appendages above the surface and onto the rocks. The sequence of photgraphs also shows what looks like color-shifting on the surfaces still bearing an intact skin integument, especially along the arms. Was it "flashing" its chromatophores?

Too many questions and not enough background information right now, so I'll just go back and stare for awhile. What an amzing thing.

Clem

The translation of the site from Japanese to English, according to babelfish.altavista.com:

The enormous squid it appears! !

When in the Goshiki beach seashore of Amino Cho, overcoat length approximately 2m, the arm is extended on January 15th, the enormous squid which reaches to also 4m was captured.

At the point where inquires to Mr. Koutarou Tsuchiya of the Tokyo University of Fisheries, it was found that it is 1 kind of ƒ_ƒCƒIƒEƒCƒJ.

ƒ_ƒCƒIƒEƒCƒJ large number is discovered from midst of the stomach of the sperm whale, but as for the squid which this time is captured the arm to be thick the possibility of being new species is high in comparison with those, so is.

As for the specimen in a complete way, those which even in the world nearly 30 years ago are collected in Tottori prefecture just is 1 individual.

Sending to the National Science Museum as a valuable specimen, it is the schedule which is investigated.

Offering the people and the photograph of the local end which cooperation it receives to capture conveyance, and the like gratitude says in Chief Yoshino ward chief and Nakagawa of the Amino town hall agriculture and forestry marine products section whom it receives.

Method of being which more looked at the photograph clickingthis!
And then, on the second page:
Spitting ƒXƒ~, still, living it probably will do, is.

In spite even in the night, everyone of local end came to multitude sight-seeing.

While being connected to one late quay, it died. Discharge in order to keep with the refrigerator.
It is sent by the university, is investigated.

It returns to the front page

Sweet cow of Moscow!!

Okay... breathe, John... *sigh*

First Question: The Eye.... was it reflecting light? Do they have a tapetum lucidum like certain mammals? .... Wow....

I can't believe this... Wow....

I can't even think of a second question....

John

Thoughts? Many.

1) I wish I had been there.
2) I wish Dr Tsunemi Kubodera had been successful in securing funds to get a submersible deployed in the area where this brute was caught.
3) I wish I had been there.
4) I'm happy that these images are now online!!
5) I wish I had been there.

Incredible pictures. I can hardly believe I am looking at them.

I wonder how this animal was caught? Was it a fishing boat crew who caught it and towed the poor thing back to harbour? I don’t suppose we will ever know the details of the exact circumstances.

I agree the eye is not how I would have expected it to appear, somewhat smaller, and the arms have a somewhat flatter cross- section. Is that a keel on the third arm? It also seems that the outer skin on the mantle is peeling away; particularly noticable in the area around the fins. I wonder if that is damage caused by the rope, or is ‘moulting’ of the outer surface of the skin a normal feature?

Clem, I’m going to buy you a drink one day for this discovery!

.... details are sketchy, but from what I understand the specimen was 'noosed' at sea (it was floating on the surface), then hauled back to land; it's in a big rockpool. There is no video (I asked last year; just these stills). The loss of skin could be attributed to capture treatment.

The eye is sitting within a socket in the head; note the anterior sinus .... they're not supposed to have this ... it's always lost in the frozen specimens (very onychoteuthid-like in appearance). The socket into which the eye fits is muscular, so what it is doing here is constricting, obscuring much of the eye.

ps, yes, that's a keel
pps, it's probably worthy of its own thread, don't you think??
ppps, the next sensational find is likely to be a live ammonite!

Re: your PPS.... done!

That's some picture. I've written a kind note to the Webmaster to see if we can't have the photo hosted here on TONMO.com, and to see if there's any further info that can be lent.

-- tonmo

Steve O'Shea said:
ppps, the next sensational find is likely to be a live ammonite!

Hey, you are not sitting on another batch of secret photos, by any chance? :biggrin2:

Clem get to work! You never know what the good Doctor is hiding!

Did someone say LIVE AMMONITE?

That Eye is spooky, why is it yellow? I'm going to have nightmares about a large bright yellow black & white eye. Those fishermen should have run into a school of those things, they would have pulled the boat under.

Did I hear LIVE AMMONITE? :ammonite:

...overcoat length approximately 2m, the arm is extended on January 15th, the enormous squid which reaches to also 4m was captured.
Perhaps "overcoat" is Babelfish's attempt at translating "mantle," as the animal appears longer than 2m overall. 4m looks about right for an overall length.

ƒ_ƒCƒIƒEƒCƒJ large number is discovered from midst of the stomach of the sperm whale, but as for the squid which this time is captured the arm to be thick the possibility of being new species is high in comparison with those, so is.
This might refer to the 3rd arm with its keel. The 4th arm pair is visible in the photos in their "zipped" configuration, beneath the animal and conforming to the surface of the rocks on the bottom of the pool; you can just make out the slightly spread tips of the arm pair on a patch of green seaweed. (Click here for frame.) In another frame, it appears that the squid has cocked its tentacular clubs, one to either side of the ventral surface of the mantle, giving the animal a somewhat comical "Spock" look. (Click here for frame.)

Spitting ƒXƒ~, still, living it probably will do, is.
Inking?

With all the onlookers present, you'd think someone would have brought their camcorder with them.

:heee:

Clem

Why the **** did it take Clem (bless him) doing an image search to reveal this? Would we have ever heard of this if he hadn't?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back