Architeuthis Feeding Postures

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
in honor of the footage of the living giant squid being aired this january, i did a few permutation sketches of the various ways the creature may feed and hunt.

Attachments

• conv_305402.jpg
    conv_305402.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
My vote's on "tentacle dragger", if only for the famous hoki sonar image. You should adjust the angle from the squid itself to roughly 45 degrees, however, taking the latter into account. "Tentacle dangler"? The structural integrity and musculature seem to rule out an active hunting style. Taningia danae, now THAT is a different matter....

That sad excuse for a fin that Archi sports is really only suited for stabilizing purposes or slow movement. Just compare to Thysanoteuthis, Mesonychoteuthis or even Dosidicus.

Don't make fun of Archi's fins! It hurts his feelins!!! I'm agreeing with OB on this one: the tentalce dragger seems like the most likely choice based on physiology. However, I like the idea of the chandelier posture. That's just plain fun! We may have the answer to this question after watching the full documentary!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back