Architeuthis again (never a dull moment in New Zealand)

It's not long now before we pick up our modified boat .... have just secured the necessary funding; in just a few weeks we'll have all manner of weird and wonderful images to post online (squid and octopus), live!!

After a long, sometimes uphill battle, things are falling into place. It really is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration. Tonight I believe I shall treat myself to a wee :wine:, but for now I'll sit in a near-empty office listening to some glorious Andy Williams! (I can hear Kat gag .....), and tonight it shall be Roger Whittaker.
Toodles
O

Val Doonican's 'Elusive Butterfly' - what a lovely track that was Jean. I'll go put on a cardigan, sweep the hair back, dye it blond(ish), smile a rare smile, dust off the LP's and go listen away.
Cheers
O

Jean said:
to some glorious Andy Williams!(I can hear Kat gag.....),and tonight it shall be Roger Whittaker

Hey Steve,

I can just hear my folks asking "what about Val Doonican or the Corries???????????"

J

O ye of little faith, some of us like Roger Whittaker up here too! (Is he still among the living, or no?) We even have a Greatest Hits CD with "Wind Beneath My Wings", "Down by the Salley Garden", "Durham Town", "Last Farewell (For You Are Beautiful)", etc. You gotta problem with that?? 8)

When I was about 15, back in the days of vinyl ("Vinyl, what's that?") I used to own an Andy Williams album called LONELY STREET, with such cheerful, upbeat numbers as "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", "Willow Weep for Me", "You Don't Know What Love Is", "I'm So Alone", "When Your Lover Has Gone", and the title song. All my friends owned copies of it too, and we used to get together a lot and play it over and over till we were all miserable. (That's the trouble with teenagers nowadays -- they just don't know how to have fun!)

:cry: (snif)
Me

Akershally Tani I don't have a problem with ol' Rog, I grew up with him singing & whistling in the background, I just thought to mention that there are other "easy listening" sort's of stuff around! Although, Steve, I must say as a Kid I preferred "Delaney's Donkey" to " Elusive Butterfly"!!

And really one can't go past "The Randy Bantam Cock" or "The Portree Kid" by the Corries!! (who incidentally are most famous for "the flower of Scotland" sung at all Scottish soccer matches!)

J

Ahem ..... just composing myself

Number 2 (that I'm aware of) Architeuthis has just been caught off West Coast South Island for this winter-spawning season. It weighs ~ 100kg, so is likely to be a mature/submature male.

Might do something interesting with this one ...... will keep it a secret (see what kind of condition it is in). Might have to get the truck and trailer on another southern NZ visit/squid run.

Where is Hank Williams when you need him??

BTW Steve - there's one of them 'dumbo octopus' thingys from 6-800 m off Westport in the freezer if you're interested before B tosses it out.

OMG - is B in octopus-tossing mode again?

I spoke with B yester - he never mentioned it (just the GS). From memory, was it pale/cream/translucent, or was it red blobby (like Opisthoteuthis). 6-800m sounds deep for hoki - which is what they were probably going for - but they must have been on the bottom to catch blobby (if it's red).

I need to pass the Bombay Hills real soon and discover the rest of NZ - just trying to fit the trip into an otherwise impossibly tight schedule.

Thanks M
O

pale & creamy ....anyway its frozen in a solid block of ice at present (underneath the Archeytoothless & a couple of Mesoplodons). There was also a very gravid cranchid (I think) I picked up from Cuba St Fisheries last month which B pickled.

download.php

download.php

Howdo M; is this the pale/creamy beast to which you referred in email? If so it is Graneledone taniwha, although which of the two subspecies it is I wouldn't want to pick based on a photograph (the location is typical of G. taniwha taniwha, but the relative arm length is more typical of G. taniwha kubodera, typical of southern Auckland/Bounty Plateaux).

If the blobby thing in the freezer is the above then it's no major deal (this is one of our most abundant deep-sea octopods), but if frozen blobby is pale-coloured and has fins then I'm excited (it could be either Luteuthis or 'Cirothauma'; a single specimen of the latter is known from NZ waters, collected MANY years ago ... and long-since gone .... pretty typical of cirrates - they are very susceptible to fisheries impact and populations decimate in the space of a few years).
Cheers
O

Hey Steve,

You're always welcome at Otago! (Kat too of course!) George, muttered something about coming over maybe in October too so we could have our own wee ceph conclave! I'd even break out the Corries, Val Doonican and Roger Whitaker tapes! :biggrin2: A few :wine: :glass: :beer: and all would be right in the world!!

J

Well, the gruesome teuthsome have just finished another MS on larval Architeuthis, in conjunction with two other most respectable teuthy gentlemen. We've been brave and sent it to one of our very own (growing number of) members, Prof. Richard (Dick) Young, for review prior to submission for formal review - it's always best to do it this way so as there are no unpleasant surprises when you receive a reviewer's comments.

That makes 5 manuscripts submitted for the year, 3 accepted and 2 still in formal review, and this present pending paper. We've been busy, and there's more sensational news to come, and quite a few more manuscripts (at least 3 in various stages of completion) - the way things are shaping up.

Jean, a mini-con featuring music and lyrics by Roger Whittaker, and much squid conversation, would be most warmly received by those with refined tastes in such things :wink:

Gee thanks, Jean, but... :P

See you in September!

Hmmmmmm maybe I should bung a few tapes in my bag and bring them with me :twisted:

I promise tho' absolutely NO Neil. I actually don't know anyone down here who owns a tape/record/cd (are there CD's of him, she wonders or have they all be used as coffee mug coasters???)............or admits to it!

J

Are there CDs? Unfortunately yes. Steve has, I am not kidding, about 30 (this seems staggering until one comes to the awful realization that there are 54+ albums in total).

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back