• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aptasia and breathing

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
After roaming around I found that peppermint shrimp may help fight aptasia so I wondered if there are any other animals that could go along with an octopus and also eats aptasia? Also I know heavy breathing is a bad sign, but exactly how heavy is heavy breathing? Could someone provide a video of what would be "bad breathing" of an octopus?

Peppermint shrimp are not always so desirable - they can harass a very small octopus, and become dinner for a larger octo.

There are many ways to get rid of aptasia. I used a small syringe (the sort used for insulin) and filled it with boiling top-off water. Then, while the aptasia was "open"' I stuck the syringe down the center and released the hot water. I could treat several without it affecting the water temperature. This method will kill them. You just have to be careful your octopus doesn't get in the way - it's good to have a second person to distract the octopus while you're carrying out the procedure.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back