• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Aptasia and breathing

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
After roaming around I found that peppermint shrimp may help fight aptasia so I wondered if there are any other animals that could go along with an octopus and also eats aptasia? Also I know heavy breathing is a bad sign, but exactly how heavy is heavy breathing? Could someone provide a video of what would be "bad breathing" of an octopus?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Peppermint shrimp are not always so desirable - they can harass a very small octopus, and become dinner for a larger octo.

There are many ways to get rid of aptasia. I used a small syringe (the sort used for insulin) and filled it with boiling top-off water. Then, while the aptasia was "open"' I stuck the syringe down the center and released the hot water. I could treat several without it affecting the water temperature. This method will kill them. You just have to be careful your octopus doesn't get in the way - it's good to have a second person to distract the octopus while you're carrying out the procedure.

Nancy

Members online

No members online now.