Anyone want to name a new genus?

There are some great suggestions here, props to davelin in particular.

I think something about the hooks should be incorporated - those are nice lookin hooks! I know teuthis isn't favored here bu Hookyteuthis knipovitch would be my vote.

tonmo;151036 said:
I know teuthis isn't favored here bu Hookyteuthis knipovitchi would be my vote.

Excellent - the squid that never goes to class! :roflmao: Unfortunately, the word-stems should be Latin or Greek... should have mentioned that, sorry. :roll:

Looks like Callimachus, Cthulhu and Camurstipes are all available; likewise Kuboderis, which is also nice, although better if he had been involved in this taxon in some way. Jormunganderia's cool but a bit clunky, likewise Frigaquascotia, although Galeabrachia could be good.

You guys are cool :cool2:

From Tolweb, this is why I picked Kuboderis (I know he's not the 1st describer or anything, but he's done SO much!)

Onykia knipovitchi
Reference Kubodera, T., U. Piatkowski, T. Okutani and M.R. Clarke. 1998. Taxonomy and Zoogeography of the Family Onychoteuthidae (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida). Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology, No. 586: 277-291.
View Ventral, dorsal

camurhomboeides knipovitchi camur(hook/hooked) rhomboeides (rhomboid) hooked rhombiode
camurinfensus knipovitchi camur(hook/hooked) infensus (dangerous) dangerously hooked
supplexscutulatus supplex(kneeling) scutulatus (diamond) :sagrin: (hoping this does not get me a DSQ)

Armifera (bearing arms, warlike)
Armiferuncus, Armifuncus - armifera (bearing arms, warlike) and uncus (hook, hooked)
Porrectuncus - porrectio (stretching out, extension) and uncus (hook, hooked)
Surculuncus, Surcuncus, or Sucuncous - surculus or suco (sucker) and uncus (hook, hooked)

Thanks to everyone for their great submissions. I am leaning strongly toward one, but will hold off on announcing until I resubmit the MS. I plan to finish it up over the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!:smile:

:wink:I am sure supplexscutulatus is not high on the list but it would be so very exciting to have something scientific with my name attached in some remote way so I am hoping Callimachus is still in the running (kind of wonder why it has not been used already) and yes, this is a lobbying attempt :sagrin:

I didn't expect you to:biggrin2:. I am just lobbying by bring Callimachus to the most current and frequent post :sagrin: (besides the missing stances with various interpretations and associated names are just too cool - albeit a stretch that will not be obvious - not to campaign).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back