Anyone want to name a new genus?

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
OK, all you creative types. I have a new squid genus needing a name, and given some of the creative and punny things I've seen posted on TONMO, I'm willing to bet there will be some good suggestions. If you want to take a stab at it, read on...

General naming conventions:
- Cannot be named after oneself
- Species are often named based on a distinguishing physical character, region in which they are found, or after someone involved in the species' discovery (e.g., collector, first person to recognize it was something new, etc.); genus name should apply to all species contained, but at this stage there's only one, so that's easy :smile:

Specifics about this squid:
- found in Antarctic to sub-Antarctic waters (type locality Scotia Sea)
- it's an onychoteuthid with a confused generic history - this will be its third genus name in 38 years
- it's eaten by lots of stuff in Antarctic waters - birds, seals, whales
- more specific physical characters found here
- specimens are fairly rare in collections
- essentially nothing is known about its biology or ecology

Bonus points if:
- The genus name does not contain 'teuthis' or 'Onykia' (most of the other onychoteuthid genera contain one or the other)
- It forms nice alliteration with, or otherwise sounds good with, the species name knipovitchi

Suggestions that will not be considered:
:no_diamond:

Winner gets:
- General bragging rights and, of course, a copy of the publication once it's out

... Go!
:archi::onycho::histio::mesonych:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I'll start and modify my entries as I try to rise to the challenge :razz::

Callimachus - ancient poet who wrote a story about prince Teuthis and whos name is reminiscent of Calamari - Apparently there is missing info missing part to the poem so authoritative second guessing parts of the translation are frequent in the posts with the name.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
:grin: Me too, I was thinking it may be hard for me to beat but I am still working on crochet hooks. Velcro is copy righted and doesn't really do well with the species name.:wink:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Scyllamimus knipovitchi?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Jormunganderia knipovitchi? After the giant squid like midgard snake?

davelin315

Wonderpus
Registered
Frigaquascotchi = Friga - cold; aqua - water; soctchi - shout out to the Scotia Sea and to rhyme with knipovitchi

Derivatives: Frigua, Frigotchi, Frigatoni (hey, squid tentacles look like pasta! it's the cold pasta squid!)... can we enter more than once? :)

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Yes, the idea of Tonmoteuthis (or Tonmonykia, hmmm) has been kicking around in the back of my mind for a while - but I'm not sure I'm well-established enough to get away with it yet. Steve probably could... :roll:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Thales;150981 said:
Cuthulu knipovitchi though I really like Cherrycherry knipovitchi but thats excluded by your 'rules'. :grin:
Had it been a "Diamond" back squid, however... :shock:

Would that then be Cthulhuia Ia Ia Ftagn!?

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
There are some great suggestions here, props to davelin in particular.

I think something about the hooks should be incorporated - those are nice lookin hooks! I know teuthis isn't favored here bu Hookyteuthis knipovitch would be my vote.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I have learned a lot about the history of velcro searching for a suitable word for those hooks :wink:

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
tonmo;151036 said:
I know teuthis isn't favored here bu Hookyteuthis knipovitchi would be my vote.
Excellent - the squid that never goes to class! :roflmao: Unfortunately, the word-stems should be Latin or Greek... should have mentioned that, sorry. :roll:

Looks like Callimachus, Cthulhu and Camurstipes are all available; likewise Kuboderis, which is also nice, although better if he had been involved in this taxon in some way. Jormunganderia's cool but a bit clunky, likewise Frigaquascotia, although Galeabrachia could be good.

You guys are cool 8-)

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
From Tolweb, this is why I picked Kuboderis (I know he's not the 1st describer or anything, but he's done SO much!)

Onykia knipovitchi
Reference Kubodera, T., U. Piatkowski, T. Okutani and M.R. Clarke. 1998. Taxonomy and Zoogeography of the Family Onychoteuthidae (Cephalopoda: Oegopsida). Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology, No. 586: 277-291.
View Ventral, dorsal

Members online

No members online now.