Anyone want to name a new genus?

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
OK, all you creative types. I have a new squid genus needing a name, and given some of the creative and punny things I've seen posted on TONMO, I'm willing to bet there will be some good suggestions. If you want to take a stab at it, read on...

General naming conventions:
- Cannot be named after oneself
- Species are often named based on a distinguishing physical character, region in which they are found, or after someone involved in the species' discovery (e.g., collector, first person to recognize it was something new, etc.); genus name should apply to all species contained, but at this stage there's only one, so that's easy :smile:

Specifics about this squid:
- found in Antarctic to sub-Antarctic waters (type locality Scotia Sea)
- it's an onychoteuthid with a confused generic history - this will be its third genus name in 38 years
- it's eaten by lots of stuff in Antarctic waters - birds, seals, whales
- more specific physical characters found here
- specimens are fairly rare in collections
- essentially nothing is known about its biology or ecology

Bonus points if:
- The genus name does not contain 'teuthis' or 'Onykia' (most of the other onychoteuthid genera contain one or the other)
- It forms nice alliteration with, or otherwise sounds good with, the species name knipovitchi

Suggestions that will not be considered:
:no_diamond:

Winner gets:
- General bragging rights and, of course, a copy of the publication once it's out

... Go!
:archi::onycho::histio::mesonych:

I'll start and modify my entries as I try to rise to the challenge :razz::

Callimachus - ancient poet who wrote a story about prince Teuthis and whos name is reminiscent of Calamari - Apparently there is missing info missing part to the poem so authoritative second guessing parts of the translation are frequent in the posts with the name.

:biggrin2: Me too, I was thinking it may be hard for me to beat but I am still working on crochet hooks. Velcro is copy righted and doesn't really do well with the species name.:wink:

Frigaquascotchi = Friga - cold; aqua - water; soctchi - shout out to the Scotia Sea and to rhyme with knipovitchi

Derivatives: Frigua, Frigotchi, Frigatoni (hey, squid tentacles look like pasta! it's the cold pasta squid!)... can we enter more than once? :smile:

Yes, the idea of Tonmoteuthis (or Tonmonykia, hmmm) has been kicking around in the back of my mind for a while - but I'm not sure I'm well-established enough to get away with it yet. Steve probably could... :roll:

Thales;150981 said:
Cuthulu knipovitchi though I really like Cherrycherry knipovitchi but thats excluded by your 'rules'. :biggrin2:

Had it been a "Diamond" back squid, however... :shock:

Would that then be Cthulhuia Ia Ia Ftagn!?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back