anyone been bitten?

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by outhus, Jan 28, 2005.

1. outhus

outhus Pygmy Octopus Registered

has anyone ever been bitten by there cuttle??? mine is getting pretty friendly but sometimes she gets a little playful and tries to attack me. i am so curious to see if she would actually bite me and how bad it would hurt,. but i get too scared and can never go through with it.

2. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

I've been bitten by squid and octopus, but I've never had a cuttlefish bite me.

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Outhus: of course it is going to hurt ! A cuttle beak removes a nice little chunk of flesh...I would probably recommend not experimenting in this area...kind of like taking a bath and dropping the radio in the water to see what will happen. :shock:

4. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

My daughtor Jess was mistakenly bitten by Inklet, a young bimac at the time. He didn't break the skin but left two marks on her finger!!! We used to have the video posted on site! She did more screaming than hurt!!!!

5. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Doesn't sound fun being bitten by a pet.

6. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I've been bitten 4 times now by midget octis. I WOULD NOT recommend it!!! It is painful if they inject the saliva (like a bee or hornet sting but lasts longer) and there is the possibility of being allergic to the toxin.

J

7. oscar

oscar Vampyroteuthis Registered

i seem to remeber that video...though there was a lot of laughing on your part if i recall -

in the before you buy article by colling he says a cuttle will never grab your hand and always only the food though it sound like it is extreemly painfull if you do get bitten - my guess would be if you disrupt their favourite rocks or scare them they may bite but otherwise i think your safe...

please dont tempt fate though cos i have a nasty habit of predicting the exact opposite of what eventuates...lol

8. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

My cuttles never tried biting me, only when i touched its tentacles, the closest i have been to getting bitten is being nicked on the nail whilst playing tug of war using my finger.

9. chrono_war01

Still scary, Squid, Octo and squid all seem so scary now. I'm scared, I'm leaving for the first plane inland. :lol:

10. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Me?

No, i have been nipped but didnt draw blood

11. oscar

yeh you said they dont usually grab your hand or sumthing

though now i am worried - i am scared of this tiny 3 stripe damsel cos it viciously attacks me whenever i stick a hand in the tank to feed anemone corals etc... and i really HATE it really i cant wait to take it back to the lfs for credit (a whole 4$) but i wont pretend flushing it hasnt crossed my mind) this is of course if i can catch it!!! lol ive tried nets and traps!!! ahhh mann!!!! i even impailed my hand on a stray piece of wire and couldnt pull it back off cos i lunged at it so hard with the net and needless to say i quite missed as my hand never reached the water (eeewwwww - worst memory of my life) blood everywhere - the fish liked it...lol)

will a cuttle attack you like this if you move a rock or something? or does it just happen in playing and etting carried away? somehow i dont think loosing a few fingers could divert me to another hobby...lol

12. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

LOL

no i was never attacked and the only reason i got bitten was by holding onto its food

they did try to kill me by spraying water onto me when i was holding the extension cable in my hand though ;)

13. chrono_war01

Smart, the ceph making it look like a lil accident by draging your hand into the tank after you die :evil:

14. oscar

haha im liking these theories - it sounds exactly like what the damsel was trying to do - stage my suicide - taking chunks out of my wrist...lol

15. chrono_war01

and make them look like giant flea bites :lol:

16. oscar

very large fleas indeed

it got me again today and my little fingernail is now bleeding... still from a few hours ago!!! arghhhh

any hints on catching the fish?

17. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

A cuttle would solve all your problems oscar... :wink:

:cuttle: ..................... :goldfish:

18. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:shock: Wow!!! A damsel got ya??? Didn't realize they could inflict such bodily injury......

19. chrono_war01

You should see the wild ones. They make those meancing sanpping nosies likee crunching bones and they have been knowned to bite scuba divers.

20. oscar

it is quite a large damsel i think well perhaps i made it sound a bit worse than it was...LOL :lol:

but it got a nail flag thing so it did bleed for ages - not that it particularly hurt!!! lol :grin:

it gives you an awful shock when you dont see it coming!!!

BUT GUESS WHAT JOEL!!! MAYBE A CUTTLE CAN BE THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEMS COS THE LFS RANG TO SAY THEY HAVE ONE IN!!! HOW LUCKY AM I - THEY SAID THEY ONLY GET BOUT TWO IN A YEAR AND I ONLY WAITED 3 WEEKS!!!

but now i am really worried!!! ill post another thread asking for advice on arrival/transport etc!!! gosh i am a bit unprepared to tell you the truth - ill have to feed freshwater feeders for a week till i can get to the beach!!

:cuttle: :cuttle: