Anybody know of any good octopus documentary dvds?

voodoo

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello all. I have been lurking on here and enjoying all your great stories and pictures for some time. I know I will never own an octopus 1. because I never had a salt water tank it would have to really work myself up to such a complicated set up and 2. the main reason is that I know I would grow attached to such amazing animals and couldn't bear to lose them one short year after they arrive if even that long. It seems unfair that such an amazing and intelligent animal is given such a short amount of time to live its life.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to ask if anybody knows of any good octopus documentaries on dvd. I think I know everything about their physiology, habitat, and characteristics, but I would still love to have footage that I could just watch whenever I want to see this fascinating creature. Thank you for you time.

voodoo said:
Hello all. I have been lurking on here and enjoying all your great stories and pictures for some time. I know I will never own an octopus 1. because I never had a salt water tank it would have to really work myself up to such a complicated set up and 2. the main reason is that I know I would grow attached to such amazing animals and couldn't bear to lose them one short year after they arrive if even that long. It seems unfair that such an amazing and intelligent animal is given such a short amount of time to live its life.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to ask if anybody knows of any good octopus documentaries on dvd. I think I know everything about their physiology, habitat, and characteristics, but I would still love to have footage that I could just watch whenever I want to see this fascinating creature. Thank you for you time.

HI Voodoo

Hmmmmmmmmm, off the top of my head, Incredible Suckers (may have to hunt for it and it may only be video!), The Octopuses Garden (Natural History Unit, NZ), The Ultimate Octopus Guide (Discovery).

I bet you don't know EVERYTHING :lol: At least I hope not, there is still more to find out I hope, otherwise all us ceph scientists will be out of a job!!!!

J

Jean said:
HI Voodoo

Hmmmmmmmmm, off the top of my head, Incredible Suckers (may have to hunt for it and it may only be video!), The Octopuses Garden (Natural History Unit, NZ), The Ultimate Octopus Guide (Discovery).

I bet you don't know EVERYTHING :lol: At least I hope not, there is still more to find out I hope, otherwise all us ceph scientists will be out of a job!!!!

J

Yeah, I didn't mean that to sound so egotistical. I just meant I have seen everything the documentaries had to offer. Thanks for the video suggestions. I will start looking.

voodoo said:
Yeah, I didn't mean that to sound so egotistical. I just meant I have seen everything the documentaries had to offer. Thanks for the video suggestions. I will start looking.

oops sorry! Had a morning battling with a computer stats pack, which made me a bit grumpy! Good luck on your hunt.

try
NHNZ Worldwide | TV Production for the octopus's garden, they have an online store!

J

For your interest...so far, some really great octopus documentaries include:

The Ultimate Guide: Octopus (by discovery channel)
Nature: The Octopus Show
Nature: Incredible Suckers

Documentaries which aren't on video...but air on TV:

Animal Planet: Champions of the wild: Octopus
Discovery Channel: The Amazing Octopus
(Animal planet has various animal countdowns were octopus have been seen in.)

The documentaries on video aren't on DVD unfortunately, but available on tape. To purchase the "nature" video documentaries, you can find them both if you search their titles here:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/octopus/legend.html

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/suckers/

Thanks

Thank you for the web sites. I found out nature is airing Encountering Sea Monsters, a show about cephs on Dec 18. So I will definitely be taping that.

Well, I did a search for "incredible suckers" and found tons of testimonials to how great it is and one copy available for purchase. Kind of steep at $58.95 and used no less. So with this being the Christmas season and buying gifts taking a priority, I may have to wait on buying this for myself.

voodoo said:
Well, I did a search for "incredible suckers" and found tons of testimonials to how great it is and one copy available for purchase. Kind of steep at $58.95 and used no less. So with this being the Christmas season and buying gifts taking a priority, I may have to wait on buying this for myself.

Im watching the show on the 18th as well.

Keep in mind...for these dates:

December 9th: 6:00 AM / Animal Planet / Champions of the wild: octopus

December 16th: 5:00 PM / Animal Planet / Jeff Corwin Experience: Alaska (Shows him touching Large octopus in tank)

December 17th: 8:00 AM / Discovery Channel: octopus

December 18th: The show your talkin' about.

Well, im glad that octopuses are airing on TV for the month of December...I can't wait and will be taping all of these. The best of this lost is most DEFINATELY champions of the wild on Friday December 6th..please tape it as its an education documentary on various giant octopuses around Japan and the west coasts of California.

And by the way, you can purchase Incredible Suckers at the nature site I linked you to. Just search the tape in the "buy" section of the website. Im pretty sure they hold many copies...just call them or email to order. Hopefully its lower than over 50 bucks. It should be more like 20 bucks at max.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back