• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Anybody can recommend any sites and tips?

Pazzoman

Hatchling
Registered
Hey Everybody!

Merry Christmas!

I'm new here and in hope for lots of informations on octopus and other animals!

Well my question is:

Is their a site that shows a variety of cephalopods for sale (that I can trust)?

Any species recommended for new hobbyist?

A good tank to start out with?

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Thank you again :read:

I haven't checked any of this stuff out in a while so sorry, I can't supply a link :/
But how learned are you with octopi/cephalopods? I find it helps a TON to do research FIRST, you can prevent a HUGE headache ^^,
Happy searching!
P.S. Google helps :smile:
:sink:

:welcome: to TONMO! You are definitely at the right site. Browse our Ceph Care forums, and read our Ceph Care articles as well. Also, I think you should be seeking questions in the reverse order of how you asked them! :smile: -- that is, before you look for a supplier, make sure you get your other questions thoroughly answered first!

Keep us posted on your progress. Do you have experience with saltwater aquariums to draw on? What brings you to this hobby? Again, welcome aboard!

Pazzoman;169106 said:
Well my question is:

Is their a site that shows a variety of cephalopods for sale (that I can trust)?
No there isnt. Most known sources sell one kind of octo at a time (its a seasonal thing)

Any species recommended for new hobbyist?
Octopuses are pretty much a one size fits all. Mostly they are all diffecult to keep. There are a few to stay away from such as the blue ring octo, wonderpus, mimic and zebra octopuses. The blue ring is toxic and can kill you in minutes. It carrys a venom in its saliva. The others are thought to be endangered (though we dont know) however they are really hit or miss if they will live and VERY costly (around 300$)

A good tank to start out with?
55 Gallons or larger is the starting recommendation though 65 or larger is better. You will be able to keep most octopuses that are commonly avalible in a 65 gallon plus and will be very limited by anything smaller.

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Read, Read, and READ! Get a GREAT protein skimmer rated for 3 times the size of your tank. Only buy used if you REALLY trust the person because if ANY copper was EVER used it can kill cephs very quickly.

Thank you again :read:

Other than that just stick around here and learn ask questions and keep reading.

:welcome:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back