[Octopus]: Anya, O. briareus

Love this pic from FB! :smile:

1584012053731.png

Any updates on eggs and mama?
It’s been a difficult week of parenting and many friends around here…. over the last couple of days Anya’s eggs have disappeared! Currently, I can only see that she has one left which she seems to be guarding vigilantly. The only thing that I can think has happened to them is a giant bristle worm I saw the night before the egg started disappearing. I am thinking the stupid worm has predated upon the eggs because that is the only thing in the tank that Anja wouldn’t be able to protect them from.

The only thing I can say, is it parenting humans has been even more difficult than octopuses this week, which is why I haven’t posted sooner… 😖🥺😥

It’s been a difficult week of parenting and many friends around here…. over the last couple of days Anya’s eggs have disappeared! Currently, I can only see that she has one left which she seems to be guarding vigilantly. The only thing that I can think has happened to them is a giant bristle worm I saw the night before the egg started disappearing. I am thinking the stupid worm has predated upon the eggs because that is the only thing in the tank that Anja wouldn’t be able to protect them from.

The only thing I can say, is it parenting humans has been even more difficult than octopuses this week, which is why I haven’t posted sooner… 😖🥺😥
I’m very sorry to hear this and will keep you in my thoughts and hope things get better for you.

This sounds a lot like Mama Cass' eggs. I wondered if it was the brittle star that I had in the tank but the two or three remaining hatchlings that did hatch spun in circles and died very soon after hatching (within hours). After some thinking and reading, I have come to believe she may have consumed them, knowing they were defective.

This is certainly a devastating turn of events, i’m just gutted... But given everything else going on in the world at the moment, it’s definitely “first world problems!”

Seven weeks after she has laid her eggs, Anya is still alive. I see no more eggs in the tank at all. She has not taken food for an entire week and her breathing becomes increasingly labored. We are now at the point where I know it would be easier for her if she would just pass on. I hate this part! But, sit near the tank and keep her company and enjoy whatever time she has left.

Also ive had a few comments about this but want to know of you think this 80g cylinder would be good for am octo... it does have the rocks glued to the overflow

Attachments

• 20160716_122208.jpg
    20160716_122208.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 204

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back