• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Any one ever get octos from caribbeancreatures?

I called Caribbean Creatures and he said he could get Octopus vulgaris right now.

I told him I would have to think about it because I really was looking for O. briareus and since the vulgaris is larger I wanted to think about it... a nice way of saying no thanks and moving on... Then he corrects me and says the vulgaris that he pulls is smaller and its mantel only gets as big as a golf ball... hmm now this got me to wondering what octo hes talking about.

I asked him about the eyespots on the side and he said he doesnt remember them having the spots... so... what octo would be smaller than O. briareus with out eyespots in the gulf or atlantic (not sure which part he dives in) that isnt a O. joubini/merc??

Your thoughts?

I did think that maybe he was mistaken... which leads me to my next question... has anyone actually ordered from him? He charges around 30 for the octopus I think and I believe I will have to pay for it first and then he will go catch it for me... plus there is no live arrive guarantee. The only time I ordered anything from him was some crabs for HP and a week later when I still hadnt heard from him I had to email him to find out what was going on... turned out he was out of crabs and just didnt feel the need to tell me... So... I am a little unsure if hes really a trusted source. If anyone else has please let me know.

I did find another source which seemed to know for sure what kind of octos they get in but they charge 80$ not including shipping but they offer the same guarantee as live aquaria so its a little more tempting to go that way. What do yall think?

Hmmm, this is disappointing news. I used to get briareuses from Tom at Caribbean Creatures regularly. He's a good guy and I considered him a fairly reliable source; the octos he found for me were always top notch. It's been years since I broke down my ceph lab, and I'm only now getting back into it.

I wouldn't sweat the fact that he doesn't guarantee live arrival- I'm not aware that anyone's guarantees cover cephalopods, but I concede that I've been out of the game for a while.

If he's in NC now, he's going to have a hard time finding the more tropical species that are common in Florida (such as O. briareus)

cephjedi;163460 said:
Hmmm, this is disappointing news. I used to get briareuses from Tom at Caribbean Creatures regularly. He's a good guy and I considered him a fairly reliable source; the octos he found for me were always top notch. It's been years since I broke down my ceph lab, and I'm only now getting back into it.

I wouldn't sweat the fact that he doesn't guarantee live arrival- I'm not aware that anyone's guarantees cover cephalopods, but I concede that I've been out of the game for a while.

If he's in NC now, he's going to have a hard time finding the more tropical species that are common in Florida (such as O. briareus)

I think you may be confused. Tom is from both Tom's Caribbean, and Caribbean Critters. He is a very trusted source and a very nice guy. I have purchased serveral octos from him and I have even met up with him on a few occasions. He is still a great source it is just not the time of year he get Octos, He will starting getting them around OCTOber 15.

I am almost positive they work together. I have ordered from Dana but then received both correspondence and packages from Tom. They share the same inventory, if you compare what they have in stock they are identical. That is why I mentioned Critters because he may have spoken to Tom while dealing with ccritters.com

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back