Any idea on this wonderful guy I picked up?

redddogg69

Cuttlefish
Registered
Picked up this guy the other day to replace my A. Aculeatus, any ideas on ID?

81d56ae1.jpg

fc13c832.jpg

205f3697.jpg

Brian Siegel;188217 said:
Looks like a juvenile O.vulgaris. If is males get about 4 lbs. ,female about 6 lbs. So a bigger tank would be a good idea. I keep one in 600 gallon tank, with a total water volume 800 gallon system, and still need to do weekly water changes and gravel vacs.Having a really protein skimmer will too. At that size I would offer food twice a day, and try a more invert based diet(shrimp,clams,mussels,ect.) Good luck and enjoy.

I've been feeding frozen silversides. Tomorrow I will grab a bag of raw shrimp and some clams from the store. It's been eating about every other day lately won't take food daily. It still only comes out at night and early morning. I'm a tank builder so as it gets bigger I will build it a new tank so no worries there.

Upvote 0
If you can, get whole bait shrimp,with shell and the head. They love frozen blue crabs. The seem to like the color yellow, so I use yellow objects(like big yellow lego block) to use for target training. For one animal I would suggest at least 100 gallon tank, with a large sump. The more overall system volume the better. Let me know if you have any system design questions. Best way to contact me ([email protected]) Have a good one

Upvote 0
Nice to see you around Brian. No fair on the 600 gallon tank! I had asked about the volume of that tank (assuming it is the one that housed the pair several years ago) but never got an answer. LittleBit was TINY for a vulgaris and I never had to move her to the 140. She did not grow at the rate one would expect for vulgaris when she was young (hence my confusion about her species) but she was always willing to eat daily.

Upvote 0
D,
Yes it is the same display tank that we had 2 bimac's at one point. It was before my time here at Mote. The system has a 600 gallon display tank, a 80 gallon sump, and a 90 gallon back-up tank with an other O.vulgaris. Life support is a Fluidized bed filter, Jacuzzi mechanical filter, descent down draft protein skimmer, heat exchanger(both heat and chill),and a over sized carbon canister. I personally like to run a lot of carbon with all my cephs. There is a smaller brown Octopus that I have seen around here sometimes, that is bigger than O.joubini, but smaller and less aggressive then O.vulgaris. Have not been able to nail down what species, but I have a couple of guesses.

Upvote 0
Brian,
Does it look like vulgaris? Have a look at LittleBit's log and tell me what you think. She WAS aggressive but not in a negative way, just kind of overbearing. She loved to interact and would seek attention but she was rough when she played. I would dearly love to find another young one as her life span was decent and we really enjoyed keeping her.

These are the pair of vulgaris I saw at TONMOCON II

As I remember they were found together in the wild and lived well over a year in captivity.

In the past we have seen a few O.hummelincki from the Keys but most come from Haiti. These have a distinctive eye spot and would not easily be confused with O. vulgaris.

Attachments

• conv_299813.jpg
    conv_299813.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
Brian, no idea I don't check my Octo tank past temp and salinity. It is about 65g total water volume and gets a 5g water change every two weeks. Been busy will try to update soon.

Upvote 0
From the pic it looks like the front arms are much longer/more robust than the back arms. This would put it in Callistoctopus. The color pattern looks a bit like aspilosomatis, from the West Pacific. When it's startled, does it have white spots on the arms and below the head, but not the mantle? They;re strictly nocturnal, so the lights will bother it. Try something more in the moonlight range and it should be fine. This type of octopus covers a lot of ground on a foraging bout, and can go into tidepools. They are prone to escape.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back