Any idea on this wonderful guy I picked up?

redddogg69

Cuttlefish
Registered
Picked up this guy the other day to replace my A. Aculeatus, any ideas on ID?

81d56ae1.jpg

fc13c832.jpg

205f3697.jpg

iAlex;188112 said:
I kind of want to say O. vulgaris, but I'm curious to see what others have to say.

I was thinking that myself, but it is still small outstretched the Octo is about the size of my hand with the tentacles longer and thinner than my fingers. This is the best I can describe it. Tomorrow morning I will try to get a pic with something in the frame for sizing. The shop that I got it at just got a Hawaii shipment in so I'm kinda thinking bimac?

Upvote 0
redddogg69;188118 said:
I was thinking that myself, but it is still small outstretched the Octo is about the size of my hand with the tentacles longer and thinner than my fingers. This is the best I can describe it. Tomorrow morning I will try to get a pic with something in the frame for sizing. The shop that I got it at just got a Hawaii shipment in so I'm kinda thinking bimac?

Hmmmm, wouldn't the webbing between the arms be much larger if it were to be a bimac? Have you seen any false eye spots or any other distinct indicators?

Upvote 0
Cuddlycuttlefsh;188132 said:
Hmmmm, wouldn't the webbing between the arms be much larger if it were to be a bimac? Have you seen any false eye spots or any other distinct indicators?

No eye spots or other indications that aren't visible in the pics, so far it only comes out in the early morning, no sightings at night. It will stay out for a few hours after the lights are on in the morning though. I've been feeding it half a silverside every morning for the last three days. I will get a pic with it beside a pop can for size too.

Upvote 0
Interesting.... I have a small octo from mexico that sometimes shows that same coloration. Where did you get him? do you know where it was caught?

need more pics for a better ID.

could be Cyanea from hawaii - although it lacks the white spots.

could be vulgaris from carribean

also looks like Mimus from central and south america.

I dont think it is a bimac.

Upvote 0
I found the el diablo thread, it looks very similar to some of the pics. I noticed Lmecher refers to el diablo as O.vulgaris in the thread title but later in many posts says O.briareus, so which was it? It almost touched me yesterday while feeding, it would reach out towards my hand then jet away and repeat, hopefully as it gets more comfortable it will interact more.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
redddogg69;188139 said:
I found the el diablo thread, it looks very similar to some of the pics. I noticed Lmecher refers to el diablo as O.vulgaris in the thread title but later in many posts says O.briareus, so which was it? It almost touched me yesterday while feeding, it would reach out towards my hand then jet away and repeat, hopefully as it gets more comfortable it will interact more.

I believe at first he was thought to be a briareus, but later determined to be a vulgaris.

Thanks for posting the link Tony!

Upvote 0
el Diablo was definitely NOT briareus. Evidence was pretty strong for O. vulgaris. I want to look at the crescent that we have posted somewhere as I am not sold on vulgaris ... but then it took me a very long time to decide Little Bit had no better id.

Here is a grouping of LittleBit's "looks" as a young octo and a Video here that shows her looking lot like your photo. She was from the Caribbean and would have been quite small for a vulgaris but that is the most likely species. With the exception of el Diablo, one trait we have seen is that they are quite aggressive, even if they want to interact. They also appear to be a lot stronger than similarly sized O. briareus. She was the only octopus to leave hickys on my hand (photo in the journal). In spite of being a bit rough, she is at the top of my favorites and I would dearly love to keep another.

As for a Hawaiian species, try a Google scan on both common (crescent) and species (hawaiiensis) preceeded by "octopus" for a look at a few photos. Julian (Julie) was likely a crescent and I know there was on other likely candidate but I can't find the post. Ah, here is the other and it has a description of markings to look for to help ID

What worries me a little is that O. cyanea also comes to mind ... How big is your tank?

Upvote 0
LOL, except ultimately I decided LittleBit was NOT joubini. She grew way too large. My best assumption was a small vulgaris. The key on this one is probably the eyes and section around the beak that one would want to call a neck. The arms have been too curious in the wrong places and it is hard to determine much about their length and thickness as I think more than the one showing regrowth have been food for other creatures.

Upvote 0
Looks like a juvenile O.vulgaris. If is males get about 4 lbs. ,female about 6 lbs. So a bigger tank would be a good idea. I keep one in 600 gallon tank, with a total water volume 800 gallon system, and still need to do weekly water changes and gravel vacs.Having a really protein skimmer will too. At that size I would offer food twice a day, and try a more invert based diet(shrimp,clams,mussels,ect.) Good luck and enjoy.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back