Antarctic octopuses

Pareledone, Adelieledone, Megaleledone.

I've developed a sub-interest in these particular species of octopus, in addition to and included in my interests in octopus brains (so much so that I've identified a person I could work with in grad school who might let me research these), and I want to know more about them!

Most of what I can find so far is taxonomic stuff - Megaleledone has been identified as most reflective of the most recent common ancestor of octopuses, and studies have been done on their venom.

What I'm interested in, though, is how their brains develop, and perhaps more properly this study should also be expanded to Antarctic fish, because Antarctic fish are vertebrates, and perhaps the simpler nervous systems of numerous other Antarctic species. Ectotherms in a sub-freezing environment probably have some adaptations to brain function.

Other stuff about its physiology could be examined, such as its muscle function and metabolism; metabolism is more studied.

What say you?

Have you come across this reference by Strugnell et al.? Some interesting things to say about Pareledone and evolution.

A Master's student here (Alejandra Garcia) just completed a thesis about octopus anatomy and morphology (though nothing much about the brain) that included these genera as well:

Garcia, A. 2010. Comparative study of the morphology and anatomy of octopuses of the family Octopodidae. Unpublished MAppSc thesis. Auckland University of Technology.

Not sure how you would get a copy, though... ask Steve?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back