• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Another question

Hi

the preffered substrate will buffer the pH, so whether its sand or gravel doeesn't matter too much, except with burrying species which prefer sand, bimac is okay with gravel.

35 is going to get cramped for an adult bimac

:smile:

Thanks for the info. i do have have a bigger aquarium in my storage room i hope hope 55 gallons will be enough for my bimac. Thanks again for the info Colin.

Oh, just make sure not to make too much ruckus in the tank, or it'll become stressed and ink, and then you'll never be able to find it again! I don't know how you'll not do this though...

Its going to be tough to get an unwilling octopus out of its tank. It has hundreds of suckers and immense strength, getting him out is going to be difficult. You could ask for advice from the place where you acquired your bimac.

I was thinking about this problem, and if you can engineer a box with a lid, put some food in it, then some how have the lid close with a string when the octo gets in it. I think it will work, but maybe not

can engineer a box with a lid, put some food in it, then some how have the lid close with a string when the octo gets in it

Actually that may very well work! That's how we catch Octis for the aquarium (well a version of it :biggrin2: ) we use a baited craypot (like a crab pot only bigger!) we put a few live crabs in, deploy near a rocky outcrop, go away and when we come back hey presto one octi ! They are not willing to leave it either! One interesting factoid about this using this method 9 times out of 10 we catch males! If we want a female we have to actively dredge in bryozoan rubble etc. This does not reflect the sex ratio.....near as we can tell it's about 1:1 (Steve???) Interesting huh?

J

Jean said:
One interesting factoid about this using this method 9 times out of 10 we catch males! If we want a female we have to actively dredge in bryozoan rubble etc. This does not reflect the sex ratio.....near as we can tell it's about 1:1 (Steve???) Interesting huh?

That's actually very interesting. Do the different sexes have different foraging behaviours? Do males tend to wander over a wider range? Is there even any decent data regarding foraging behaviour?

wow! thanks for the advice everyone i think i'll do that with lid and food thing and i my also ask the guys at fish supply for some advice.
thanks for the info. all of you that posted. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back