Another Question! (I am just on FIRE! :P)

Trent1

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Regarding the post on the Multiphasic Memory capacities of O. Vulgaris.

Has anyone got any links, or tips on finding peer-reviewed scientific papers on various aspects of Cephalopods?

Informed opinions and re-iterations of papers already seen are very welcome - But to see, and interpret the work in its 'raw' form for myself is more my thing!

Just like the guy over at Cephlove said - These things aren't obvious to the public at large.

Plus, Octopuses and Humans share a (relatively) common feature - We're both the 'most advanced' example of our respective twin-branched evolutionary linegaes. Vertebrate and Non-Vertebrate. That's GOT to be an interesting data yield!

And I'm not fazed by mathematics or bio-chemical information - So the most complex stuff you know of, lemme know! :biggrin2:
b8a086stockinshop082Smalljpg

You might want to pickup a copy of Hanlon and Messenger's Cephalopod Behaviour. There are a couple of other books recently published but I will never own them at the prices they command, The Brains and Lives of Cephalopods by John Zachary is the first that comes to mind.

Plus, Octopuses and Humans share a (relatively) common feature - We're both the 'most advanced' example of our respective twin-branched evolutionary linegaes. Vertebrate and Non-Vertebrate.

Major assumption that I have to question! I'll argue for Odontodactylus scyllarus over Octopus bocki any day.

Roy

Roy

:biggrin2:I guess I will have to keep a couple of different Mantis as the two stomotapods I have had Odontodactylus havanensis and Neogonodactylus oerstedii have been interesting but not as receptive to interaction as even my mercs. They have lived twice as long but either I am doing something wrong or these two species don't exhibit the kind of social advance you swear by.

Major assumption that I have to question! I'll argue for Odontodactylus scyllarus over Octopus bocki any day.

Roy

Roy

Precisely what I mean! :P

This is the kind of thing that, had I not directly asked or triggered that response from you - I would never have considered!

You might want to pickup a copy of Hanlon and Messenger's Cephalopod Behaviour. There are a couple of other books recently published but I will never own them at the prices they command, The Brains and Lives of Cephalopods by John Zachary is the first that comes to mind.

I was afraid of that! I was thinking more theoretical works that hadn't been validated yet, and were cheaper or free because of it.

Once the theory becomes an accepted work - It's big bucks!

Contrary to my initial post, I have since found some articles on cephalopod behavior which are in-depth - Only they get a little shaky when it comes to the science backing them up! :frown:

The Hanlon and Messenger book can be found reasonably (more or less since I do own a copy) priced and would likely expose you to a lot of things to think about and incorporate.

Thanks! :biggrin2:

It's kinda funny. I haven't got a living Octopus in a tank. And I'm not altogether certain that I'd like to hold a real Octopus either.

They're slimy! :shock:

So why do I like the little blighters? :razz:

Well, as the image in my signature sometimes shows - I have a soft 'cuddly' Octopus bear!

I found it when I was 21 and have been fascinated by them ever since!

In fact, here's a photo of me hand-washing my idiosyncratically loveable little fabric friend...

dsc0214w.jpg

:-/ :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back