Another Giant Squid in Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Pieces, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Pieces

Pieces Cuttlefish Registered

While browsing the local news on the internet (I don't usually, but there was a tragic event I was readign up on), I stumbled across this news item:

A Giant Squid in Colliers 12/6/04 (VOCM News)
    A giant squid has been landed in Colliers. One resident, Angela, told VOCM Niteline with Linda Swain, it's about 20 feet in length, and is somewhat mangled. Some people dragged it up up onto the beach and it's been the target of photo buffs ever since.

http://www.vocm.com/cgi-win/vocm.exe/92997-Local

I'm not sure who should be contacted concerning this... we got some nasty cold weather last night and theres a bit of snow on the ground.

2. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

Hi,

Has anyone found any pictures online?

:P

3. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Nice clean white coats there!

Mine always looked mucky (no matter how often it was washed!) so I switched to a dark blue one!!

J

5. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

Nfld giant squid

Saw the story on the news...supposidly the squid was looked at by natural resource students (hence the really really white coats) and has now been taken to DFO for an autopsy. Would love to get a look at the creature up close.

6. Pieces

Yeah, me too, I wonder if the public is allowed to view this type of thing?

7. Pieces

Hmm, caught a short section on another giant squid found locally on the late night news tonight, but I can't find anything online.

I'll edit this post if I find anything tomorrow!

2004/2005 - good years for GS in Newfoundland?

8. Steve O'Shea

9. Pieces

I think I misinterpreted the news item that was on, they also stated that any future specimens should be reported to authorities promptly, so at least theres some local interest :)

10. Steve O'Shea

I've just received a wee note from a reporter/producer (Mike Rossiter) from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in St. John's, Newfoundland. He says that scientists in Newfoundland have recently discovered two giant squids, measuring ~ 5 to 6 metres length, weighing about 40 kilos (they must be males). The first was found near Colliers in early December (the original post in this thread); two weeks later the other second squid was found in the waters off Triton.

So you were quite correct, a second had been found.

11. Pieces

Funny, I just saw the news report last night but I was too tired to turn on my computer and post anything :P

Yeah, apparently the one found in Triton was found on the 22th.

The news broadcast didn't state anything particularly interesting, but they had a short interview with a Department of Fisheries and Oceans scientiest who just simply said there is very little known about the creatures and their maximum growth is unknown, and then they discussed some myths associated with the 'kraken'.

Thats two within a span of 3 weeks, I'll be sure to post any updates I get!

Information on the recent necropsy here:

http://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/publications/MediaAdvisory_AvisAuxMedias_0501.asp

12. Pieces

13. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

I know that I will/have miss(ed) it cause I'm so forgetful.

14. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

15. Steve O'Shea

Thanks for that Ummm..... The female is relatively immature (far from releasing an egg mass, but not so far from mating) - for the first time I've seen some footage of it. The male is relatively mature. I believe both have been referred to as mature in various press reports.

16. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Thanks um... :mrgreen:

17. lortmem

lortmem Larval Mass Registered

giant squid/daily planet

i was watcing an upcomming preview of the tv show daily planet where they had found 2 giant squid in NFLD the show was to have aired around o1 17 05, but i missed it,does anyone have any info about this? EX:where in NFLD? thanks..

18. Pieces

If... you read any of the thread, they were found in Triton and Colliers

19. Steve O'Shea

:welcome: Lortmen (and what does this stand for?).

I'm a little starved for info at this end too, but the most revealing info has probably been posted by the Right Honourable Regal-footed Sir Dr Ummmm. (aka Ummm) - the TV segment from the Discovery piece.

From what I've seen thus far I think we're talking a mature(ish) male and a submature female (although it has been referred to as 'mature' in the press).

There's also talk of warmer waters around Newfoundland, warmer than usual and not really experienced since the 60's (the last time that there was a spate of Architeuthis strandings in the area). I'm not so concerned about water temperature - what really interests me is where the convergence between a warm and relatively colder mass of water lay (to me this is all about migration to areas of current convergence). I have spoken to quite a number of Canadian reporters, and none has given a damn about fact ... they want to get their story across in the minimal amount of words, in the least amount of time (one constantly referring to 'deadlines' - aka he was lazy). I actually refused a couple of interviews, as sensationalism was their obvious intent (science can be difficult when they're not prepared to grasp or consider basics - all to date have wanted to focus on 'global warming', or have me disagree with theories advocated by those who know more of local oceanography; I refused to be drawn into such discussion/debate).

You'll find throughout the TONMO site numerous references to austral summer and winter recurring capture (= northern winter & summer respectively). Winter occurence (northern hemisphere) should come as NO surprise. What WILL surprise me is if an Architeuthis 'strands' or is caught in a net close to coast ANYWHERE during any month between late March and very early June, or between late September and very early December (possibly late November).

20. ArchyNorth

ArchyNorth GPO Supporter

This seems to be true of any countries reporters. Sensationalism sells. Living here in Canada, there seems to be an increase of scandals/crimes/"big" stories, especialy when they are talking about any level of Government.
    Qudos to you for realising their intent (though I am sure you have a lot of practice), and for not speaking over the top of local scientists.

Anyway, I guess one silver lining to this story, is that they are reporting it. There is a large deficit of any articles regarding any scientific dicipline in the media. Canadian at least.