Announcing WUNDERPIX

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi Tonmo, I'd like to announce a new database of Wunderpus photogenicus pictures: Wunderpix:

Wunderpix

What is the point of this database? In a new paper out (authors include Tonmo members Thales, Neogonodactylus, D. Gentry, and myself) in the open access journal PLoSOne (free to download- i'll post the paper here tomorrow) we show that Wunderpus have individually unique spot patterns. This means we can monitor Wunderpus in the wild using photographs, the same way people do for whales, etc. We hope that people will upload their pics of Wunderpus and related data (site, time, depth) into this database so we can start to estimate their home ranges, population density, and movement patterns. Please check it out!

Individually Unique Body Color Patterns in Octopus (Wunderpus photogenicus) Allow for Photoidentification

I'll put it on wunderp.us as well... gee, sit on a domain name long enough around here, and people just hand you content!

thanks! The more pics we can get in the database, the more we can all learn about their natural history. Plus if people upload their own pics they can check the database to see if someone else took pics of that same individual!

I can't post the pdf of the paper here (too big) but it's free to download from the link on my first post.

"And thank you for submitting to PLoSOne; Yay! for open access"

yeah- since we ask for public involvement to make this project work, it only seems fair that we make the paper freely available. This makes it easier to get the word out too without people worrying about journal copyright.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back