[Announcement]: Site Changes!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Well, it's gonna be bumpy... but we'll get there.

The site is undergoing a major upgrade. Stay tuned and watch things get better over time!

It's a new engine altogether, but made by the same software provider as the last platform (vBulletin). This is their next generation -- and I can see it's going to take me quite a bit of work to get things back in shape. But we'll get there, I promise!

I think we need a summary of changes ;>).

How do you anticipate using the blog?

What is the difference between What's New and New Posts?

I was hoping a favorites would be part of the new software so we could keep personal track of special posts. Any chance it is here but I have missed it?

I like seeing the legend at the bottom. I don't recall it being there before so it is either a good addition or better because it is more visable.

I am REALLY going to like the reply button.

Spell checker (fingers crossed smilie)?:fingerscrossed: (Oh, it's back)

Thanks D!

I posted my own Blog post just a bit ago. Every member can have a blog -- ultimately I may configure access to Supporters only getting to manage their own blog. I'll be setting up categories -- I've already set up a generic "Cephalopod Journals" category for folks to post their blog entries. More to come, in the meantime feel free to give it a try.

What's New = New Posts

Yes, you missed it - it was in the old forums too. You can choose "Subscribe to this Thread" via the Thread Tools menu at the top of a thread. You can configure it to notify you when there are replies via email -- or it can just notify you in your profile area. You can always check out your profile area to see and manage all the threads you are subscribed to. So, it supports the "favorities" concept.

So far I really don't like this at all. Maybe you have to be a computer geek to like the new format, but from what I can see now I wil be coming to Tonmo a whole lot less. It isn't intuitive or user friendly.
When I gtr to tonmo I want to see all the new posts immediately, I don't want to have to wade through pages of junk to get them, and as far as blogs are concerned, I know a lot of people like them but as far as I can tell they generally just create volumes of unnecessary verbiage. Please go back to the old one.

Sorry Sharon that you don't like it - as stated above it's a work in progress. It'll be a while before it's fully optimized, and it will definitely require adjustment on everyone's part. It will take some getting used to, and I realize folks don't like change. And, there's no going back - the old system will no longer be supported at some point in the future - time to take the platform forward.

Among the enhancements will be getting back to forum stats on the homepage, etc, but it will take some time.

sorseress;145957 said:
When I gtr to tonmo I want to see all the new posts immediately, I don't want to have to wade through pages of junk to get them, and as far as blogs are concerned,......

I think that feature is still here it is just on the "Home" page.

I also dont think it is any less user friendly it just that we are not used to it, plus things still need to be tweeked. I moderate for a few other forums, and whenever we do an update or change it always seems like it is harder, and we get alot of complaints; however in the end the users get used to it and see how things have actually improved. I'm sure it will be the same here. Change is good, but it's not always easy.

well thats my two cents.:old:

Yes, you missed it - it was in the old forums too. You can choose "Subscribe to this Thread" via the Thread Tools menu at the top of a thread. You can configure it to notify you when there are replies via email -- or it can just notify you in your profile area. You can always check out your profile area to see and manage all the threads you are subscribed to. So, it supports the "favorities" concept.

Not helpful as far as favorites go. I "subscribe" to any thread where I post automatically - with 5,480 posts, that's a lot of threads. I was think more of a way to make a category and add threads or post that had content to use for referrals.

Note to self - figure out how to use the multi-quote button

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back