• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

And it begins!

I drove two hours away to Inland Aquatics on Saturday, and picked up a clutch of 14 eggs.

They look like they're getting close, but aren't transluscent yet. Inland said they had one stress hatch during shipment that died soon after.

:biggrin2: It should be an interesting venture.

IMG_0257-1.jpg

Still waiting!! Argh! The suspense is killing me!

My 120g reef's fuge has a good stock of mysis and gammarus going, so I should be good. If I start running low, I can go back to where I got the eggs. They culture their own stuff there.

My aquaculture employed friend suggested feeding the gammarids in my sumps. He indicated that they feed on decomposing vegetable matter, and at the facility, they feed theirs (a Chesapeake Bay variety) a mixture of powdered wheat grass and ground rabbit food.
I had been sprinkling just a pinch of a powdered zooplankton on top of chaeto and see them come up to eat it. Since feeding, I do notice much better populations.
Baby cuttles will only take the tiniest of our reef gammarids untill they get a little bigger.

Yeah, the wait is tough. Two of my three eggs didn't make it. They ink covering started to slough off on them and eggs themselves got cloudy and started to disintergrate. One egg left. Looks in good shape. Hope it makes it.

I had the same thing happen to three of mine over the weekend Ed. I'm so sorry that happened to you! I wish I had more that I could send out to you. I hope your one and the rest of mine make it!

JokerGirl;161845 said:
I had the same thing happen to three of mine over the weekend Ed. I'm so sorry that happened to you! I wish I had more that I could send out to you. I hope your one and the rest of mine make it!
Hey, that's okay. It's a risk we take. I took it knowingly. Hopefully the last one will hatch! Good luck with your's too. As I've read a high percentage of captive bred eggs don't hatch.

F-hell :frown: I'm so sorry :frown: I've only got 2 left at this point myself. If these don't make it, I'm gonna see if they can get me another batch. I'll send some to you for free or something. Such crap!

What SG you you guys have your tanks at? I got 5 eggs from snowmaker and they all hatched. It could also depend on the quality of the eggs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back