An Encounter With a Giant Pacific Octopus September 13, 2014

This one would have been an adrenaline rush, knowing how strong my little guys are when they can attach to the substrate and how aggressive they can sometimes be when they decide they want my hand or whole arm.

If they are anchored to the bottom, can be a bit "interesting" to disentangle. When you peel one tentacle off, two more wrap around you. If they cover the regulator, or pull it out, or get at your mask ... even more "interesting". No biggie, if you survive the first few times, it seems no problem.

Tom. I am a long time diver and I must say I dont know how well I would do in that situation. I know how strong my Vulgaris was and this octo is 4 times that size so a lot stronger. Like you said if they get your reg or mask I think I would freak a bit which of course would be the wrong thing to do. great vids. How deep are you? If they destroyed your reg i know you have a second but are you to deep for a fast ascent?

These octopus are in the 50-100 fsw range (most of the videos I have posted are from dives at Madrona Point on Vancouver Island. I never am in a deco obligation, can make my ascent and have alternate air (an octopus reg, also can breath down by BCD). I have some experience handling larger octopus - I used to collect them for aquariums and also as a commercial fisher. Best dive was 3 over 25 kilograms in 5 minutes off boat to boat in 65 fsw.

LOL, watching your newest video (with no physical contact) some of the humorous photoshopped images titled, "the last image on the camera" suddenly came to mind. I think I would do fine in midwater but not so well in the places you visit.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back