Ammonoid Articles

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by DWhatley, May 10, 2013.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Paleobiology of the Latest Tithonian (Late Jurassic) AmmoniteSalinites grossicostatum Inferred from Internal and External Shell Parameters
    Patrick Zell, Wolfgang Stinnesbeck 2016

Ontogenetic sequence reconstruction and sequence polymorphism in extinct taxa : an example using early tetrapods (Tetrapoda: Lepospondyli) Jennifer C. Olori 2013

The earliest Cenomanian ammonoid Tanabeceras yezoense (Shigeta) from the Hobetsu area, Hokkaido (PDF)
    Paleontological Research, vol. 16, p. 208–218. Spath, LF, 1927: Revision of the
    Jurassic cephalopod fauna of Kachh (Cutch), part 1. Memoires of the Geological Survey
    of India, Palaeontologia Indica (new series), vol. 9, p. 1–71.

A New Species of the Heteromorph Ammonoid Phylloptychoceras from the Lowest Maastrichtian of Hokkaido, Japan
    Yasunari Shigeta [SUP]1[/SUP] and Tomohiro Nishimura [SUP]2[/SUP] [SUP]1[/SUP] Department of Geology and Paleontology, National Museum of Nature and Science, 4-1-1 Amakubo, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0005, Japan (e-mail: shigeta@kahaku.go.jp)
    [SUP]2[/SUP]Hobetsu Museum, 80-6, Hobetsu, Mukawa, Hokkaido 054-0211, Japan
    Abstract.

A new Cretaceous heteromorph ammonoid, Phylloptychoceras horitai sp. nov., is described from the lowest Maastrichtian of Hokkaido, Japan. Its shell is ornamented with very weak, broadly rounded ribs and its suture line is characterized by a deeply incised, trifid dorsal lobe and three bifid lateral saddles with minor indentations. This occurrence suggests that Phylloptychoceras evolved in the North Pacific during late Campanian or early Maastrichtian time and then achieved worldwide distribution during late Maastrichtian time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Architeuthoceras and Terri like this.
  2. DWhatley

Ammonite aptychi: Functions and role in propulsion
    Horacio Parent, Gerd Westermann, John A. Chamberlain 2013 (subscription)

Abstract

Architeuthoceras likes this.
  3. DWhatley

@Architeuthoceras, After I posted this, I noticed you had referenced it on Facebook but I beat you to posting it here :grin:.

4. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

This old thread talked about aptychi and how they may have been opercula, I just thought it nice that the last few words of the abstract were "Aptychi may thus have been multi-functional"

5. DWhatley

I had to laugh at that statement as well but did not realize that is the only reason you mentioned it on FB :oops:

6. DWhatley

Fossil Focus: Ammonoids
    Kenneth De Baets, René Hoffmann, Jocelyn A. Sessa, Christian Klug 2016 (full article)

Nice layman readable article

I particularly like this simple description of the conch shell parts

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Architeuthoceras likes this.