• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

"Ammonite eaten by fellow cephalopod"

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Apologies to Hajar; I was trying to merge his thread with octobot's and they both ended up getting deleted :oops:. Here's the info Hajar posted:

Story here, abstract here.

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
No probs! I have another ammonite (Ataxioceras) with a bite taken out of the back end of the body chamber (attached, there's a better photo of this somewhere, but I can't find it).

Ramses' catch and bite technique makes this story quite vivid:

Attachments

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
but over in North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana in the Cretaceous scaphitid ammonites "healed injuries, as well as lethal injuries, are common on adult shells, especially on the adapical end of the body chamber."

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
does the paper rule out predatory snails as possible culprits? i remember reading that limpet boreholes on ammonites can be misaken for sharkbites.

Members online

No members online now.