• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Ammonite diet revealed via X-Ray

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Stuck by Kevin, tweeted by me - thanks Hajar!

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Love the London bus smiley; it was only a matter of time. :)

This has got to be the most astounding image of ammonite 'teeth' yet revealed - surely. I wonder how they compare to Nautilus radula teeth?

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Amazing. Had to watch that one twice to wrap my brain around it. Very cool - thanks Phil!

hallucigenia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
"Outside of cephalopods, the radula in Baculites most closely resembles that in heteropod mollusks (multicuspidate, with sabrelike marginal teeth); they feed on plankton and gelatinous prey (18)."

Cool stuff. Bootleg PDF attached.

Attachments

Hajar

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Yes, thanks Hallucigenia and cuttlegirl for the papers.

The images are wonderful.

Overall this supports the consensus of the past couple of decades (e.g. Morton & Nixon 1987, Seilacher 1983, Kennedy et al. 2002, etc.), so no great revelations here. I don't remember seeing the link between diet and end-Cretaceous extinction spelled out before though (scavenging nautilids sail right through).

This was Morton & Nixon (1987): ".. the function of the large shovel-like lower jaw was the collection of large numbers of small prey. The bluntness of the beaks makes them unsuitable for biting (KAISER & LEHMANN, 1971, 29–30), and the apparent absence of distinctive areas of either lower or upper jaw for insertion of strong muscles indicates that a crushing or shearing action is unlikely. However, the broad rounded surfaces of the lower and upper jaws brought closer together by vertical and/or lateral movement to one another would, together with the actions of the buccal complex, provide an ideal
mechanism for the expulsion of large volumes of water while retaining trapped prey.”

Seilacher (2007), (in your trace fossil book, Kevin) writes " .. no one has ever found impressions of the arms, which were probably reduced to a delicate filter fan."

Attachments

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
This is definitely the microscope of the future! With on-line media sharing so wide spread, hopefully we will see more rederings like this of all sorts of things. Hopefully it will be like sonograms and become a must have for many labs.

winglessgnome

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
This was really interesting. I wasn't aware that despite the abundance of ammonite fossils, we know so very little about them or their life history.

Members online

No members online now.