ammolite... pretty colors!

fluffysquid

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So I just returned from a vacation to the Canadian Rockies and I picked up a few nifty locally-grown things there.

Has anyone heard of "ammolite"? It appears to be fossilized ammonites that aquired an amazing iridescence all over the surface somewhere in the process. Reds, greens, yellow, blue, purples. Reminds me of the most firey opal i've ever seen. I picked up a small chunk. It's just a millimeter or so of it on a base of limonite, quite fragile. Usually they protect it with a clear coating or (for jewelry) with a spinel cap.

Pictures soon to follow.

fluffysquid

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
yep, thats the stuff! I picked up just a section of one as well as a flashy blue-green-purple pendant. There were complete ammonites all over the place for sale though.

There were some as large as in that link, others ranged down to 6 inches for, say, $400 and up.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Wow! That's spectacular! Only $91,425.00, huh? :shock:

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
One of only two, I think, gem stones considered to be organic in origin. The other being amber, of course.

Cheers!

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
That's truly beautiful - and priced for the thrifty!

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
No, pleeeeease don't tell me I have to sell YET ANOTHER ferrari, do I? This hobby is seriously eating into my trust fund...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nyima

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards