• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Am I kidding myself??

dwhatley;143598 said:
Your enjoyment of watching a successful reproductive cycle is limited with the octos and it is always mixed with sadness since with all but one known species, the mother dies shortly after the eggs hatch.

Raising our mercs was an absolutely priceless experience! It's too bad more people don't get the opportunity with other species that we did with our little night-time buddies. I'm sure we'll "dive back in" at some point though. :wink:

Well i mean it is perfectly legal to collect one and put it in you aquarium. When i got my first octo i was glued to Fish and Game laws. The only thing i am not sure of is if i could mail it to some one after i got it. Does any one know?

From the link...

Section 8597(b) of California Fish and Game Code lists the species of marine organisms that may be taken under the authority of a marine aquaria collector's permit.

Specifically, Section 8597(b)(2)(H) states that all species of octopus may be taken EXCEPT O. bimaculatus and O. maculoides. (note - maculoides is an error - should read bimaculoides).

So, these two species of octopus may not be taken legally for the California marine aquaria trade.

These two species of octopus can be taken under the authority of a sport fishing license. There are no regulations that would prohibit you from displaying live specimens of O. bimaculatus and O. bimaculoides in your home aquarium for your hobby. You may run into problems if your intent is to supply specimens for fellow hobbyists or businessess. Remember - it is illegal to buy, sell, barter or trade fish and shellfish taken with a sport fishing license. Be sure to review the appropriate sport fishing regulations before you go out to collect your octopus. Also, please be aware of the impacts that your collecting may have on the population and habitat, and work to minimize these impacts.

Thank you cuttlegirl, very interesting information. I am sure I will find a healthy one eventaully. Liveaquaria.com has some for sale but with generic names, listed as assorted-(Caribbean) and (Indo Pacific) which has me scratching my head. Can someone help me understand what these lables mean? I would like clearificaton as to what species each would most likely be. I am still weeks away waiting for a tank to cycle, it would be good for me to familiarize myself with these for sale listings now.
I visited Utube and was tramatized by videos of octopuses dropped live into boiling water and people eating them alive. Absolutely horrific!

No you think? I am aware they are eaten, it is the throwing them in alive part that turned my stomach.

...:bugout: just shocking to watch when I am anxiously preparing to keep one as a pet and come across these idiots boiling them alive. What I would give for one of them.

We tried our local Korean food markets to see if they had any live octopus. The plan was to see if they would survive after being handled as food. We only found frozen and dried at the market and gave up on trying restaurants.

dwhatley;143674 said:
We tried our local Korean food markets to see if they had any live octopus. The plan was to see if they would survive after being handled as food. We only found frozen and dried at the market and gave up on trying restaurants.

That's too funny, my husband just suggested we try an asian market that has an unreal assortment of live seafood. We went there a couple times, it's hard to deal with the smell WHEW! If they did have live octopuses I am sure they would not really be viabel, they are handled very poorly.

bluespotocto;143677 said:
The indo-pacific is usually aculeatus. It is a good little octo that i kept. I would recommend this octo also for some ones first octo.

Liveaquria.com has some for sale I posted in octopus avaliability forum. I emailed them and posted their reply. I wonder if aculeatus is the species I'd get if ordered one. Know what else I could possibly recieve that is considered indo pacific? I am getting alittle (very) confused :confused:

You never know really what species you are going to get but most members who have ordered from them have gotten aculeatus. It was at least Adopus species. I wouldnt worry and just get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back