• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Alternative chilling

I really really really really really want a Bimac, but I can't afford a chiller, which as i'm sure all of you are well aware are about as expencive as a small house. I can't afford that, and to make matters worse, i live in louisville texas (Nancy, this is where i could really use your help). My house is never uncomfortably hot, and my room is really really really really small and easy to cool. so I hope this will help. any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

You can run a fan over the sump or have your a/c turned low.

But perhaps you need to consider whether or not NOW is the time to have an octopus. Perhaps it would be better to wait until you have the money to care for one in the way it needs and deserves to be cared for.

I personally don't have one because I have neither the time nor the money to look after one right now (although I have to admit I do work in a public aquarium, when I'm not teaching or working on my PhD [doing corrections, folks.......nearly there!! :biggrin2:] so I get some ceph contact).

But I feel the onus is on us as pet owners to keep them in the best possible way and if that means waiting until I can afford all the right equipment etc then so be it.

just my :twocents:

J

I was planning on having an octo first and then later a cuttle. mabe I could have the cuttle first and save up for the octo chiller while i have the cuttle. do cuttles need chillers? please say no!:sad:

Bob the kracken;91322 said:
I was planning on having an octo first and then later a cuttle. mabe I could have the cuttle first and save up for the octo chiller while i have the cuttle. do cuttles need chillers? please say no!:sad:

Cuttles (at least Sepia bandensis) do not need chillers. I have mine at 72 F, but most people keep theirs at around 78 F.

Another thing to consider, if you're planning to have this tank in your room, is that you will have 55 gallons of saltwater and an animal (either octo or cuttle) notorious for liking to spray saltwater out of the tank frequently and potentially over quite a distance. Saltwater can be damaging to a lot of household stuff - wood, carpet, anything electrical. So be sure you think about a few things in advance, like:

- Can the floor where you want the tank to be support 700+ pounds of constant weight (55 gallons in the tank, __ in the sump?)
- What happens if you spill saltwater in the area? If your tank springs a leak? If your ceph sprays?

If anything more than a very small amount of saltwater gets into carpet, it smells like sewer mixed with death. Not nice.

Tintenfisch;91333 said:
Another thing to consider, if you're planning to have this tank in your room, is that you will have 55 gallons of saltwater and an animal (either octo or cuttle) notorious for liking to spray saltwater out of the tank frequently and potentially over quite a distance. Saltwater can be damaging to a lot of household stuff - wood, carpet, anything electrical. So be sure you think about a few things in advance, like:

- Can the floor where you want the tank to be support 700+ pounds of constant weight (55 gallons in the tank, __ in the sump?)
- What happens if you spill saltwater in the area? If your tank springs a leak? If your ceph sprays?

If anything more than a very small amount of saltwater gets into carpet, it smells like sewer mixed with death. Not nice.

that is why i was going to put something under it, like a rug or a mat. soemthing with a liquid blocking underside. the carpet in my room already has that since my dog isn't really choosy about where she eliminates if you know what i mean

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back