• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

All I see are tenticles

Though I must say, it rather reminds me of an old 50's horror movie when Creepers puts 3 or 4 arms out to find food.
Oh those poor crabs. heh!

So anyways, I have had Creepers since saturday, and that night is when I got the wonderfull pics. Creepers was out and about and exploring like crazy.

But ever since then, he(she?) has been steadily constructing a den with anything Creepers can get ahold of.

Clam and scalop shells, small live rock, hermit shells.
Now the question is, does this sound like the normal behavior of a Cehp to a new environ? Or could it be that Creepers is a she in the last stages of her life?

Water parameters are all normal, and she just ate 2 emerald crabs, pretty much every nasarius snail in the tank, and half the hermits! lol

Quite the little piggy. heh.

Anyways, what were the introductions into your tanks like for your little cehps?

cheers all and happy hump day!

Geoffrey

Creepers behaviour is quite normal. Octopus often disappear for weeks at a time when first intoduced into a tank. Just be patient and resist the temptation to look for him and he'll come out in his own time. If s/he's still eating then old age is less likely. Most octopus require a den.....usually of their own construction :roll: we've never yet built one the octopus approved off!!!!

Cheers

Jean

Jean;94199 said:
Creepers behaviour is quite normal. Octopus often disappear for weeks at a time when first intoduced into a tank. Just be patient and resist the temptation to look for him and he'll come out in his own time. If s/he's still eating then old age is less likely. Most octopus require a den.....usually of their own construction :roll: we've never yet built one the octopus approved off!!!!

Cheers

Jean

thank you for that bit of info.
Well, rather reassurance.
As a proud parent(?) of a creature I have had a love affarie with since youth (I am now 34), one can get concerned at times. lol

And I have more than enough patience from the myriad of wrasses that dig under the sand and hide for a week on first introduction. Just when you think they went to the big ocen in the sky, they pop up as if to say "HEY! FEED ME ALREADY!" :smile:

And as for the construction, yeah, I made 2 dens for Creepers, of which one was "approved" of and then quickly dismantled and reconstructed! hehe.

At least I get to see the 50's B movie tenticles grabbing for food.
Gads I love that!
(I am a professional make-up and effects artist of 13 years)

Oh, and I love tha fact that you say cheers.
If it's not Ciao, it's Cheers.

So, Cheers!
Geoffrey

my octo prefers only my PVC pipe contraption, i have other caves and tons of shells and rocks in there for it to do it itself but i think i own a lazy octopus!

nickcoletti;94218 said:
my octo prefers only my PVC pipe contraption, i have other caves and tons of shells and rocks in there for it to do it itself but i think i own a lazy octopus!

huh!
Creepers didn't even so much as LOOK at the pvc. heh.

Though it does provide a fun place for crabs to hide while Creepers is searching for food. :smile:

Octo's are very addicting creatures. Sounds like he's doing wonderfully. I have had ones that go into hiding pulling every item they can grab as their door and others, like Spike who have sat out in the open from day 1. All of them are very unique in their personalities and behaviors. Glad to hear you have patience to let him come around on his own cause there is nothing like an octopus that has been allowed to adapt to his new home without being constantly harassed!

Jean;94199 said:

Cheers

Jean

you know, i seriously doubt that it would be possible to make a den that an octo would approve of. i think that part of the thing with the den is that they dint feel secure in it, unless they make it themselves.

chris

aximbigfan;94260 said:
you know, i seriously doubt that it would be possible to make a den that an octo would approve of. i think that part of the thing with the den is that they dint feel secure in it, unless they make it themselves.

chris

I think you're right......but we always try :roll: :biggrin2:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back