• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Algea problem and fish with cuttles.

djdime

GPO
Registered
Ok guys im having a REAL battle with my caulerpa in my tank which has gone mental since i removed my sailfin tang.

Ive tried everything, manual removal, sea hare, starfish, lettuce slugs but nothing is working.

i KNOW that sailfin/yellow tangs will eat it and i know foxface will also eat it.

Is it just a complete no no to put fish in with the cuttles?

has anyone EVER done it?

i'd obviously take an overgrown tank over the death of my cuttles anyday but just need some ideas.

:welcome:

I have never had caulerpa in my tanks, but I can tell you that most of the critters and fish that are supposed to clean up algae - don't!

You might look at light, either from a window or the amount of time your tank lights are on.

People do sometimes keep fish with cuttles, but with mixed results. You don't want a larger fish that could eat your cuttles. A few years ago a cuttle had a fish "friend" (they even slept together at night) and then one day the cuttle owner saw the cuttle with the fish in his mouth, obviously dinner.

Our cuttle owners can tell you more of their experiences.

Nancy

If you get a fish smaller than your cuttles, your cuttles will surely eat it, if you get a fish slightly bigger than your cuttles, they will surely eat it. Thales has a picture of a bandensis eating a lawn mower blenny that must be 2-3 times the cuttles size. I would imagine that a tang as large as a sailfin, etc would be ok, however you would then have to worry about the fish picking on and eating the cuttles. There was a video on here before the website got modified that was of a porcupine puffer eating a bandensis. Now tangs aren't as aggresive as a puffer, but you never know... It would be taking a risk...

How big are your cuttles?

The pic I have is of a cuttle eating a cardinal - the cardinal was dead when I gave it to the cuttle.

Short version - that macro is tuff to deal with once established, and almost nothing eradicates it but just keeps it in check. A small, peaceful tang may work for you, like a tomini, but still might get nabbed by the cuttles. Eradicating the macro will take a more robust effort, but you may not want to do that.
I would just stick to manual harvesting and enjoy the free nutrient export, but thats me! :biggrin2:

hi guys and thanks for the replies.

my cuttles at present range from 2 - 3" and are still very much nocturnal ( unless they have a party during the day whilst im at work :smile: )

with regards to cuttles eating fish, ive seen the evidence. I would have to make sure the fish was 100% algae eating and very passive. oh and too large for a cuttle.

re manual removal, i seem to make the problem worse using this route by spreading it around the tank. This particular caluerpa will attacks corals too.

Its a very tough decision, my cuttles are elusive enough as it is, do i really want to risk making them come out even less?

If there is some evidence, photographic of people succesfully doing this could someone please link me?

many thanks

Can you move the corals and shade the algae?

Also, sailfins are extremely unlikely to attack a cuttlefish, even large sailfins. If you get one that is fairly lgood sized, you will probably be ok.

about 4 months ago yes :biggrin2:

ayway, i have my old sailfin and a foxface in now, both large.

They dont seem to notice the cuttles and visa versa so all is good so far.

will update this if anything changes.

wouldnt want to try this in a small tank though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back