• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ALGAE AHHHHH!

Hi,

My tank has recently had a pretty bad algae.(sorry i dont know if i spelled it right) Does any one know what I should do to get rid of it and a course with out hurting the octopus. It has gotten really bad in the inlets and outlet tubes in the chiller.

Thanks

Well, my tank is full of it. What colour is the algae? Green hair is fine for octopus (not so good for live corals), red means you have a bit of your system out of balance, brown means that you have a new cycle running.

Throw in snails and hermit crabs if you don't already, don't overfeed the tank, and if you can cut back on the lighting those- things might help! Sometimes you jest have to remove it yourself to keep on top of an algae bloom. Like weeding your lawn. I get some direct sunlight in one tank, and after 10 yrs I notice a seasonal bloom related to too much light- all I have to do is keep the blinds closed during the brightest time of the day. Good luck.

Brown algae is usually associated with a cycle, have you checked your nitrite/nitrates?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back