ALGAE AHHHHH!

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by bluespotocto, Mar 15, 2009.

1. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Hi,

My tank has recently had a pretty bad algae.(sorry i dont know if i spelled it right) Does any one know what I should do to get rid of it and a course with out hurting the octopus. It has gotten really bad in the inlets and outlet tubes in the chiller.

Thanks

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Well, my tank is full of it. What colour is the algae? Green hair is fine for octopus (not so good for live corals), red means you have a bit of your system out of balance, brown means that you have a new cycle running.

3. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Well I have some green algae and some brown algae. So it is okay to have that in my tank?

4. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Throw in snails and hermit crabs if you don't already, don't overfeed the tank, and if you can cut back on the lighting those- things might help! Sometimes you jest have to remove it yourself to keep on top of an algae bloom. Like weeding your lawn. I get some direct sunlight in one tank, and after 10 yrs I notice a seasonal bloom related to too much light- all I have to do is keep the blinds closed during the brightest time of the day. Good luck.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

This time of the year seems to encourage algae blooms if your tank is anywhere near a window.

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Brown algae is usually associated with a cycle, have you checked your nitrite/nitrates?