• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Air Stone

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have seen both positive and negative comments about using an air stone in an octopus tank but have not seen the reasons why NOT to use them.

We are debating between adding an open air stone, an air stone in an up lift tube or a power head in a lift tube. If we use the lift tube it would be attached to a DIY set up with plastic pipe and a filter bag to allow draw from the bottom of the tank under the live rock without an actual under gravel filter.

Any input with the best way to evacuate CO2 is most appreciated.

To help answer one of your questions, my information is that sometimes bubbles can get into an octo's mantle and throw his bouyancy system out of whack. Not being a ceph keeper myself, I don't know how frequently it happens or if there's a way to "cure" it.

Joey

Definitely go with the air lift idea (air stone inside a tube). You do not want air bubbles getting into your octo's mantle. They are easy to make and install, and I would guess simpler than trying to enclose a power head (though I have never attempted to do so). By far your best option.

Cheers!

I have a cascade, where the water flows from the top, aimed downward. Is this just as dangerous for bubbles getting stuck in his mantle? We have the water flow on a low level for the baby octopus to adjust. Also, We had some trace of nitrates in our water system. Will he be affected much by them? How much can he endure? We took care of it immediately by putting in some live sand for our 55 gall. Also, we rigged our protein skimmer and the water flows even better than the commercial one. Was this a good idea? He'll have excellent water conditions by far.

AprylWillis;80072 said:
I have a cascade, where the water flows from the top, aimed downward. Is this just as dangerous for bubbles getting stuck in his mantle? We have the water flow on a low level for the baby octopus to adjust. Also, We had some trace of nitrates in our water system. Will he be affected much by them? How much can he endure? We took care of it immediately by putting in some live sand for our 55 gall. Also, we rigged our protein skimmer and the water flows even better than the commercial one. Was this a good idea? He'll have excellent water conditions by far.

Your cascade should be fine, most of the bubbles will be at the surface as withan airlift. Nitrates MUST be 0, cephs are v sensitive to them. Live sand will definitely help! Your system sounds good. Just one thing though you'll want to get some mesh over the outflow on your cascade! ANY gap and they'll go exploring (even against the water flow......been there ..done that! :roll: )

J

The less the bubbles, the better off you are. Octos are somewhat like perpetual children, and even though the stream of bubbles can be dangerous, they'll still play with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back