• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ahhhhhh! Disaster!

Has anyone seen O. dofleini for sale in the past? Forgive me if I'm being naive, but my wife and I are going to be moving to California in about a year, and I'd like to set up a huge, dedicated O. dofleini tank at that time. Now, assuming I can find one somehow, is this feasible? I know how large they get, but I'm wondering if a 300g cube tank is large enough.

If I cannot find one to purchase, is it possible to find one via scuba diving? Thanks--just looking for more info.

They can be found for sale but i think that their sale is mostly restricted to sea life centers, public displays etc etc and i have to agree with that. I dont think even 300gals would let them get near full size.

if you were to get one I'd have to say go for about a minimum of a 6 foot cube which would be approx 1500 gals :smile: remember that (Enteroctopus) dofleni can get HUGE :smile:

I think from memory prices for juvs started at 600 - 800???

A pretty big chiller at that. Kepp in mind that on average their armtip to armtip can be 4 to 5 metres and that is very big. Don't forget their feeding, you gotta put quite alot of stuff in them to make them grow so big.

I believe I have seen GPOs for sale somewhere about a year ago, but also, there is lots of diving activity in the area and I believe you could find one.

I was looking at an adult GPO just about a month ago. It's body is a little bigger than a basketball.

It would be nice to get one as a baby and raise it. They have a longer lifespan than bimacs, so you wold have longer to build a relationship.

Nancy

It is something that I will try to do one day but only once i have a bigger (much bigger) place to stay and with concrete floors!!!

Just remember who your friend is when you need someone to fly across and build it for you!!!!!! :roll: :heee:

Are you aware of anyone who's ever kept one other than an aquarium?

Someone on this site wanted to catch a baby recently and release it when it got too big.

Interesting!! Guess I would need to win the lottery to own one of them!! :mrgreen:

Carol

I don't think the GPO tank would have to be as large as you imagine. I recently saw one in a tank about 6 ft high, 5 ft wide, and 3 ft deep.
I'll see whether I can get more info.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back