• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ahhhhhh! Disaster!

Sorry all...I botched his claim entirely. I have posted what he wrote to me below. We think he means "mecatoris" instead of Joibines (sp?):

"As the self proclaimed resident TCMAS cephlapod expert all I can say is WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! What species is it? I have had both Bimacs - the loides and latus as well as several Vulgarus. I hatched and raised Joibines(mispelled) and attempted to mate Sephia Officanilus( the European Cuttlefish). Any questions or help feel free to come my way. I was thinking on getting another bi-mac but declined since I am keeping my system temperature around 80 F, which is near lethal to a bi-mac. DO NOT ADD COPPER!!!!!!!!!! Small amounts will wipe this ultra-sensitive invert out. I recomend keeping your tank temperature around 73-75 as this will extend their life span. Sorry for the poor spelling (I am balancing my 5 month old girl in the other arm who wants to copy Daddy and punch the little black keys on the big flat board.)"

dont you just hate it when someone introduces themselves as an expert?! LOLOL :lol:

Hmmmmm I wonder if your "expert " would like to try that with our P. cordiformis I can just about guarantee he'd get a face full of ink. With our little guys ......he'd get bitten!

Ours are removed from time to time (gently) for a major tank clean and they've been known to wander round the back of the tank, up the stairs, into other tanks, into the drains, into the public viewing areas etc etc. Being out really doesn't seem to bother it!!! :lol:

J

joel_ang said:
Wow really?! A ceph which likes being out of water! Just hope no animals get to it. Have you ever seen this happen Jean?

Regularly :x you get quite a work out wrestling a 15-20kg Octopus back into it's tank, especially if it doesn't want to go! On cleaning days we put them in a (large) fish bin with a lid secured by heavy rocks! If you forget the rocks the octi is liable to go exploring!

It does depend on the individual tho', Mrs Henry has been very restful! She has shown little inclination to go exploring , even when we forgot to close the doors of the octopus fortess (the top of the tank is sealed with sliding perspex from the top of the tank to the ceiling!). Now that she's laid eggs she never leaves her pipe.

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back