ahabs eggs have hatched

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by joefish84, Jun 9, 2006.

1. joefish84

joefish84 Sepia elegans Registered

well i wake up this morning and notice that she has pushed a large mound of sand out of the den. of course i dont think anything of it. i check on her and everything is about as normal as can be... i proceed to go to a fish store that was willing to give me all the bugs out their refugium as long as i caught them myself. i go to the store come back with lots and lots of bugs of all different flavors. walk in the door and notice a little squidlike fella swimmin on the surface so i immediatly freak out and unplug the sump. then i try to catch as many as i can which is about 5 or so that i can see cause i presume the eggs had just hatched and the rest of the babies are swimming around above the substrate and rockwork and its hard to find pinheads in a 125 gallon tank. i put 4 in a little breeder net with some algea packed with pods and the 5th in a specamin container. the one in the container constantly chases around the pods trying to catch them which i guess is a good sign.

im not sure if the eggs hatched overnight or this afternoon but i guess its just a game of waiting and feeding now. also i was told by a friend who is an invert zooologist that baby brine shrimp provide lots of nutritious food for larve because they still contain a yoke but its the adults that are not nutritious... so should i also hatch some brine babies?

ive tried to take pictures of the little fellas but they are just too small. you can see a big mantle little tenticales, two big eyes and the chromataphores. and they are about as big as this * for the most part anyway ill keep yall updated

oh by the way this has only been about 3 weeks since the eggs were laid... so im still a little unprepared:roll:

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Well, congratulations! I guess you'll be busy over the next couple of days. If the hatching follows what we've seen in the past, it should take a while for all the eggs to hatch. So if you miss some in the beginning, you have more chances.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Nancy

3. joefish84

well from what i can tell by looking at whats left of the eggs it seems that they have all already hatched

4. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

w00t! they are soo cute when they hatch....

chris

5. joefish84

ok been about 10 hours and the ones that are in isolation are still alive and doing good.

6. Black96WS6

Black96WS6 GPO Registered

Good luck!

7. joefish84

here are a couple pics

Attached Files: