Agonistic Behavior in Nautilus

monty;97909 said:
Y'know, I really enjoy having friends who say things like this.

I was told a story yesterday about a friend's sister who found a beached/ill seal, and spent hours trying to find any rescue organization who could help. Unfortunately, this was quite a while ago, because my mind went immediately to thinking about who on TONMO I could ask who would almost certainly offer suggestions. Apparently, since this was near San Diego, the sheriffs told her the seaworld folks were the only option, but their marine mammal hotline wasn't answering their phone :-(

Yikes, I could have helped, I used to work for a marine mammal rescue center in Southern California, so I know all the centers in the area... Next time, call the Pacific Marine Mammal Center, they are always willing to help...

Graeme - you have just described about 9/10 of my thesis video analysis.

Sometimes they do other stuff which is much cooler, just not very often!

Guess I just getting old. Neal has to drag me away anytime one shows up at a fish store. I think their bobbing is at least as interesting as fish swimming around in a tank. Maybe if I had one I would lose my facination but watching a live fossil bob or leafy sea dragons swim is mesmerizing to me.

monty;97909 said:
I was told a story yesterday about a friend's sister who found a beached/ill seal, and spent hours trying to find any rescue organization who could help. Unfortunately, this was quite a while ago, because my mind went immediately to thinking about who on TONMO I could ask who would almost certainly offer suggestions. Apparently, since this was near San Diego, the sheriffs told her the seaworld folks were the only option, but their marine mammal hotline wasn't answering their phone :-(

Most places ignore seal calls because it is both natural and healthy for seals to go up on to beaches, in fact in some areas the biggest problem with seal harassment is well meaning but ill informed people rushing down on the the beaches to save them and chasing them off the beeches.

robyn;97916 said:
Graeme - you have just described about 9/10 of my thesis video analysis.

Sometimes they do other stuff which is much cooler, just not very often!

:lol: Excellent! I'd love to see that. I did hear that unless they anchor themselves to a rock or something then they whizz about like nobody's business while asleep.:lol: Given that they breath and move uing the same funnel.

Graeme;98056 said:
:lol: Excellent! I'd love to see that. I did hear that unless they anchor themselves to a rock or something then they whizz about like nobody's business while asleep.:lol: Given that they breath and move uing the same funnel.

I didn't think cephs sleep at all... although I know the benthic ones do spend time hiding in holes, sand, mud, or seaweed and not moving much...

I'm actually pretty curious about this from a science standpoint, because I had figured sleep was something of a quirky vertebrate nervous system phenomenon, and I'm not even sure if fish and reptiles sleep in the same sense that mammals do... although rest is important for most animals, sleep in the sense of dreaming, unconsciousness, and whatnot is a rather poorly understood thing that's been hypothesized to involve fixing memories from short term to long term, or regenerating neurotransmitters, or various similar things. Since cephs have such a different nervous system than vertebrates, I'd be very curious if they have a sleep system that's analogous to vertebrates in any of these ways (squid have to keep swimming all the time, but vertebrates do maintenance things in their sleep, like sharks or dolphins swimming to breathe, or cows sleeping standing up and keeping their balance. )

Oh right. Well it's maybe not sleep. Maybe just general unconsciousness. Like if they are anesthetised I suppose. It was in a paper I read a while back. Or at least referred to. I could try and dig it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back