AFO Premiere (Colossal Squid/Sperm Whale)

Discussion in 'Cranchiidae' started by Steve O'Shea, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Well, for easterners we get to see the finale 2hr episode of Animal Face Off, aka AFO, Colossal Squid vs Sperm Whale, on Sunday 12 September (in NZ 7:30-9.30pm). I don't know what happened to the US screening.

That's NZ, Australia, Thailand/eastern countries, probably India also (have we any members from India???). I haven't seen the final edit myself, so it's going to be kind-of interesting from that perspective (even though I know the outcome).

O

2. Emperor

Emperor GPO Registered

Steve: This sounds very interesting as usually they are things that might be better off kept as a pub arguement ("Which would win in a fight: A tiger or a shark?", "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm it depends on whether it was shallow water or not", etc.) but this is actually relevant!!

The mini-site is here:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/animalfaceoff/animalfaceoff.html

and it apepars people who can't see it can eventually get the DVD.

People can get more information on this episode via:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/animalfaceoff/challenge/challenge12.html

and sign up for an email update.

3. ubiquity

ubiquity Blue Ring Registered

well...
    as a resident of the us,..i won't be seeing the show...i've no tv either so gsh steve,..ruin it for me?

enquiring minds and all that. :mrgreen:

4. ubiquity

ubiquity Blue Ring Registered

not that it should be a great mystery...considering that we've known about the colossal from evidence in the belly of the spermacetti,right?

5. legendarycroc

legendarycroc O. bimaculoides Registered

so what happened in teh show?
    Ps im incanada so i didnt c it

6. Steve O'Shea

I'll not comment, other than say I did have a laugh or 5, and that I was amazed that the entire 2 hrs was dedicated to this programme, without recapping on earlier shows (as I thought might happen).

Some of the squid imagery was pretty good, if I say so myself .... in fact you'd be hard-pressed to tell it from the real thing (some of it).

Did anyone watch?

7. legendarycroc

dr. o'shea (i dont know what else to call you) when were to called onto the show to film it?

8. Steve O'Shea

Howdo Legendarycroc. I've been watching your posts on the AFO Bulletin board (sorry to see that basically be disbanded; my pseudonym was Mesonychoteuthis).

You can find out a lot about that AFO episode by following the latter part of the following thread:
    http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/349/

I'm afraid I've long-since forgotten what we got up to, and when, but there should be a decent chronological account on the earlier link. There are many other images that we have here that I'm now more comfortable about posting (on the aforementioned thread), but had been reluctant to do so until the premiere.

I'm not sure if you've seen it yet (you're US based aren't you?). I actually think that this DVD/video is worth getting; I think it's better in many ways than the earlier 'Chasing Giants' (certainly more entertaining, and there's none of this 'Steve gets weepy' nonsense).
    Cheers
    Steve

9. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Just watched a re-run of the show.... love that :meso: model...

10. legendarycroc

wow is tht really the squid model in the show? The marks from on the sperm whale looks quite recent maybe its what drove the sperm whale to beach himself! :D

11. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

What's happening to the model now????

J

12. legendarycroc

o steve do you have any pictures of the whale been made?

13. Steve O'Shea

J, the model .... well, something is planend for it, but it does need a little TLC.

LegendaryC ... afraid I don't have any images of the whale being built; sorry
    Me

14. legendarycroc

(sigh)... im like never gonna see the show....here in canada only 3 AFO episodes have aired :x croc vs sahrk, lion vs tiger, hippo vs shark, and this weekend cougar vs wolf, and elephant vs rhino, next month there's gorilla vs leopard and bear vs tiger... and its probably gonna be airing like next year..... i can not wait that long!!!!!Go sperm whale (im just rooting for the whale because .....no idea)

15. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

i'm personally routing for the hippo against the schedule dept of the once tolerable network.....

hey, i know, maybe we can remodel :meso:'s apt. and thereby get on the channel...... :roll:

As much as i hate PBS, they could do 10^7 times better than the people now controlling "discovery" channel.....

16. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

And if we make a gas tank for a chopper that looks like :meso: we would be sure to see it in prime time :D

17. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Perhaps we could break a few of :meso:'s arms or something and get it sent to the ER. Or maybe we could dress it up all skankily, give it a chihuahua, have it act like an airhead, and get it shown on Fox.

18. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

I've got it:

"Queer Eye For The Straight Squid."

Carson: "Oh. My. God. Magenta is SO 2003."

:heee:

Clem

19. Steve O'Shea

.... as I've got sideburns, am colourblind, have 3 sets of undies with little green aliens on them, time is a continuum, and I wouldn't know what time, day, month or year it was, Magenta rocks baby!!

20. krin

krin GPO Supporter

I saw this!

I thought it was one of the sillest things I have seen in a while and oh, so long winded! Steve, you must have been in fits of laughter most of the time. It looked all so serious but so overstaged...

I was wondering what happened to the model as well.

And Steve, please go and get your glasses adjusted! It is driving me spare!!!!

KRin