• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Advice needed

jcwedit

Hatchling
Registered
I just moved out of the city and into a house and i would like to expand my Aquariums to include a Ceph tank. I DO NOT WANT TO RUSH THIS! I Learned to hard way when i first started keeping SW fish that a rush job is a bad job. So i would like to spend the next couple of months doing research before even starting to build. I have a few questions i would love to ask:
1. I have a 70 gallon tank available, is this a good size tank for a Octopus bimaculoides?
2. Beyond a wet dry trickle and a Skimmer i was going to add a canister filter, is this over kill?
3. Anyone use a UV filter on their Ceph tanks?
4. Can you recommend any good books or literature on Ceph keeping?

Thank you all in advance!

:welcome: and I see you became a supporter, now you can join in all the premium ceph discussions :biggrin2: ! Well you are already moving in the right direction by not rushing. Take a look around and you should be on your way!

1. I have a 70 gallon tank available, is this a good size tank for a Octopus bimaculoides?
70 would work fine
2. Beyond a wet dry trickle and a Skimmer i was going to add a canister filter, is this over kill?
If your wet/dry and skimmer are rated for 2-3x the gallon of your tank you should be okay, otherwise add the canister for the extra bump
3. Anyone use a UV filter on their Ceph tanks?
I don't and I can't remember reading about anyone here
4. Can you recommend any good books or literature on Ceph keeping?
Cephs of the world is an excellent book
Below are some links that I have accumulated on Cephs mostly Octos-
Cephalopod Care
http://www.utmb.edu/nrcc/cephhusbguid.htm
Octopus, Squid, Cuttlefish, and Nautilus - The Cephalopod Page
Advanced Aquarist
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/marinetank53.html

Welcome and Good Luck!

:welcome:

Re the UV filtration, personally I wouldn't use one with inverts (yes I know some places manage just fine :biggrin2:) but have seen many instances where UV filtration was added and there was an increase in fatal mutations and moult death syndrome (in crusts) in the inverts, when the UV was removed these problems disappeared.

my :twocents:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back