• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aculeatus vs Hummelincki?

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
I have a 46gal tank that has been cycling for 2 months and I am now looking for an octopus. I was hoping to get an O hummelincki but I cant seem to find one. I know that reef scavengers has them sometimes but I've been checking everyday for a month and they don't seem to have them. Will they get anymore in stock this late in the year?

Also I saw on live aquaria that they have in-pacific octos for sale, meaning Aculeatus right? What are these guys like? How big do these guys get, they are smaller than a bimac, so around 16cm from mantle to arm tip? Are they diurnal? About how long do they live, personalities ect....

Is it worth waiting for the hummelincki or should I go buy an aculeatus?

thanks!

Aculeatus are diurnal and are very friendly. They will play with you quite a bit. The only problem is that they are small egged so you cant raise the young if you get a female. The one from live aquaria is most likely an aculeatus. That is where i got mine. I havent had an hummilink yet so i dont know if it is worth waiting. Also another thing might be that the one from Live aquaria is most likely full grown, aculeatuses are very friendly and are great.

Yes that is sad but thats about the best you can do online. The only other octos I would be able to get are hummelincki's and bimacs (which means buying a chiller). Unless anyone knows where to get a hummelincki I will buy an Aculeatus from live aquaria. Ah yes I saw your journal on beans, aculeatus sound very cool! Is there anything special I should know about them?

The only thing i would say it that they are a little smaller then a hummlincki, so make sure all the cracks are sealed pretty good. I want to say that it will most likely be full grown so spend the time you have with it when you can. My i think might pass tonight so.......:cry:

Ok thanks for the info. Yes I definitely will, can't wait! I'm very sorry to hear that. From the journal it sounded like you had a blast and I'm sure beans did too!

ok well I ordered an indo-pacific from liveaquaria. After not receiving a shipping confirmation email I called and they said that they had no more ones heathy enough to ship, even though they let me order one and gave me an order # and everything.
Now the option of buying an octo isn't even on the site, there is no ceph option under marine inverts. So Im starting to loose faith and am thinking that I won't be able to get an octo until next year when it gets warmer.. Does anyone know anywhere else to get an aculeatus, hummelincki or other warm water octo suitable for a 46gal?

So very strange.:confused: First I get a maya that is really hummelincki (OK by me, I have been wanting another for over 6 months). Then SueNami dies and Tom gets in 5 within a week (several after I wrote about reserving one) and she (I think) comes in nice and small with all arms (unusual for a lobster trap octo) and within the hour of putting her in the tank my not-so-local saltwater fish store calls to say they have an unexpected octo in today's shipment.

I think Neal is going by to check it out on his way home tonight but is nervous about making an ID. The owner's brother had no clue but said it was large for an octo - 6" diameter arm tip to arm tip :roll: - and marked briareus. I have one empty tank if it turns out to be another hummelincki (assuming US caught) or aculeatus (if imported) but not one large enough for a briareus. :biggrin2: The brother did not know or would not say which ocean it came from so I am hoping Neal will at least take some phone photos if he does not bring it home.:razz:

With this many showing up, just keep looking. I know the briareus are showing up in the Keys because it is the start of lobster season but Tom did not expect them to be this small at this time of the year.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back