Aculeatus hatchlings

Redoc

GPO
Registered
Some babies have hatched. I gave them some food and watched them jet excitedly into it. The babies are in my octo system which was my reason for adding the sump (they're in the sump) it is a 20gal round polyethelene tub with very low flow. With all the problems I've had with my tank lately I didn't think I would have any babies at all. I know I've lost some eggs but we shall see what happens:fingerscrossed:

dwhatley;118261 said:
Redoc,
The tank material may be the answer to your octos behavior. Steve felt that polyethylene was deadly to the squid. I found one reference to some of the discussion on the possible problem here:

fiberglass screen

Thanks a lot for the info. As far as I know polyethelene is inert as they stated in the other thread but its the other chemicals they use in production that may cause a problem??? I hope my problems are solved. I was pretty surprised to see babies tonight.

Please post what you try and the observed results (including longest lived timing). As you know, very few keepers have posted anything about the small egg hatchings and it is difficult to even eliminate methods without reading others experiences. Thanks!

The first disaster

I came home from work today and went to check on the babies to find no water flowing. My wife then tells me she accidentally unpluged the powerhead for the sump. She also somehow managed to pull the hose out of the powerhead?? So they spent all day with no heat or water flow. It took quite a while to get it all running properly again. On a good note the babies appear to be eating I can't really see them do it but it looks like they're going through the motions. Day 2. I did talk to one person who tried to raise small egg babies she said 2 days was all she got. wish me luck on day3

Bad news good news

I guess the stress of not having any heat or circulation for roughly 8 hours was too much for the little guys. There are very few left, maybe more clinging to the macro algae. My curent octo is in the process of laying eggs:cry::smile: she is still eating and it looks like she still has more eggs to lay. I guess I will be trying again in about 3 weeks. I still have a little hope for the first babies as they are good at hiding.

:sad: but there being any left at all is still impressive and inspiring. It's also interesting that they're grabbing the algae, since the common wisdom is that they'd prefer to live in the water column. :fingerscrossed: and maybe this is a weirdly good sign, in that it'll cut down on density for the little ones, and maybe make them easier to feed and less cannibalistic or otherwise competitive.

I also just noticed that neither of your octos is in the "list of our octopuses." That might be useful to add, particularly if the babies survive to adulthood, so PMing Nancy about that would be good. I was actually looking because I've forgotten whether both your octos are aculeatus... is the new batch of eggs the same species?

My current octopus is laying eggs as I type so I will have a chance to try again, with some small improvements to my setup. As for the vacuuming I have made threats of Death and dismemberment if anyone touches my plugs again!!!!!:evil: It takes lots of fiddling to get the flow just right.:bugout::banghead: Thanks for the support.

monty;118360 said:
:sad: but there being any left at all is still impressive and inspiring. It's also interesting that they're grabbing the algae, since the common wisdom is that they'd prefer to live in the water column. :fingerscrossed: and maybe this is a weirdly good sign, in that it'll cut down on density for the little ones, and maybe make them easier to feed and less cannibalistic or otherwise competitive.

I also just noticed that neither of your octos is in the "list of our octopuses." That might be useful to add, particularly if the babies survive to adulthood, so PMing Nancy about that would be good. I was actually looking because I've forgotten whether both your octos are aculeatus... is the new batch of eggs the same species?

Yes, Both were and are Aculeatus. Unfortunately both Quite mature when I got them.

Redoc;118361 said:
As for the vacuuming I have made threats of Death and dismemberment if anyone touches my plugs again!!!!!:evil: It takes lots of fiddling to get the flow just right.:bugout::banghead: Thanks for the support.

Bad answer, volunteering to do the vacuuming in sensative areas makes one's spouse more likely not to groan about the money we spend on our critters :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back