• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aculeatus eggs!!! Help!

This morning when i was doing my water change i checked if i could see any red in the egg. I picked up the rock that had them under and there werent any, but about a week ago i saw a cluster of eggs floating around. Also my serpent stars have been hangin around the den. Could it be that they ate the eggs?! If so does this mean that i should start feeding Beans again since she isnt watching the eggs? Has any one ever seen this?:shock:

I have never seen any of the eggs from my octos. Trapper's and Miss Broody's hatched, Serendipity's and Beldar's didn't but I really don't know which of the clean up crew ate them or if they just disintegrated naturally.

If you can get her to eat, she may live longer than if you can't but either way her time is preprogrammed to be short.

A few thoughts about small egged octopuses:

Baby mysid shrimp or other small live crustaceans are good first foods. I would avoid brine shrimp.

The individual containers mentioned here (Octopus rearing chambers - The Cephalopod Page) are not appropriate from planktonic offspring. As Sedna mentioned above, it is best to batch rear them in a much larger volume. I would use a 10 gallon tank or large plastic tote and slave it to the main aquarium . That way the water is the same, the filtration remains on, the hatchlings have room to swim and you can keep them and their food in one area away from being sucked through the systems filter.

Small egged octopuses lay LOTS of eggs. It's OK to take out a few every now and then and look/photograph them to determine their development.

In captivity, a female octopus that does not have viable sperm will still lay (infertile) eggs, guard them for a while, and possibly eat them. After that she will most likely become senescent.

I must say now that the eggs either have been eaten or just decayed because they were not fertile the tank is really boring. Also it is the most terrible thing to watch an octopus just starve its self and not even come out when its not protecting any thing.:cry:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back